VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When attempting to import an .h264 file into Adobe Encore CS4, I get this error:

What do I need to make this work?
    Quote Quote  
  2. What are the specifics of the imported file? use mediainfo. And what is the source of the file (where is it from)?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    General
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    File size : 3.98 GiB

Video
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Bit rate : 3 918 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.142
    Writing library : x264 core 75 r1251 e553a4c
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=3918 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

It's not as easy as x filetype = x codec?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is this a raw avc stream, or was it in a container at some point (e.g. m2ts, mkv, mp4)?

Your stream doesn't have any buffer values, so it won't be compliant for blu-ray

Encore should still recognize it if it's raw avc, but it won't pass through untouched (i.e. it will be re-encoded and you will lose quality)

Do you have all updates for PP/encore?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It was originally in an mkv file.

What's the quality going to be like relative to DVD?

And as far as I'm aware, Encore is updated.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you don't need menus, try multiavchd (allows for simple menus). Otherwise you will have to re-encode to rawavc using compliant settings

It depends on your player if it will or will/not play, some players are finicky

Encore isn't that finicky compared to other programs that require compliance like scenarist

Quality will be better than DVD, if not only for the resolution difference (HD vs. SD)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    If you don't need menus, try multiavchd (allows for simple menus). Otherwise you will have to re-encode to rawavc using compliant settings
    What's the re-encoding process?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Did you extract the stream from the mkv using mkvextract?

The re-encoding process is taking your original source and using blu-ray compliant settings (incl. vbv buffer) to encode to a raw stream. You might use uncropmkv or Megui for this. I would use the original source, not the mkv or you will get another generation loss. It has to be unwrapped (no container), or encore will re-encode it again for even more quality loss
    Quote Quote  
  9. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I used mkvextract to get that file from the mkv.

The mkv is the original source, in this case. Or the closest I've got, at any rate.

What do you mean by unwrapped?
    Quote Quote  
  10. unwrapped means no container (e.g. no mkv, no mp4, no m2ts), just the raw video (.264 or .h264) and/or audio stream

if you just want to import into encore, and let it re-encode with it's encoder, then re-wrap your video into .m2ts with tsmuxer and it should import

your video has no buffer or hrd information, so it will have to be re-encoded at some point anyways, and some quality loss is unavoidable (whoever made your video didn't encode it with compliant settings for blu-ray)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I've got a m2ts file out of it. Don't have any menus set up yet or anything, and it's 4AM, so that'll do me for today.

Completely unrelated issue, though: nothing's showing up in the monitor for Encore. It's a giant pain when attempting to insert chapters, since I've got to view the file in some other program and manually enter timecodes. Any idea how I could fix that?
    Quote Quote  
  12. The asset has to be placed on a timeline for it to show in the monitor

Also note your video specs 1280x720 @ 29.97 is technically not a valid blu-ray format. 720p24, 720p50/60 are valid. So I don't know how encore is going to treat that, or maybe that's why you can get it to show in the monitor window?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's not just a problem with this project, though It's a problem with everything. Most of the time I have everything in MPEG2 before even importing it, and that wouldn't show up either. It's been a problem ever since I installed the program months ago. I had a similar problem with Photoshop, which was solved with a video driver update, but it's done nothing for Encore. I've reinstalled, I've even formatted my computer and reinstalled everything, due to an unrelated issue. It still doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm not sure then, everything works ok here with encore cs4...

Maybe try contanct Adobe support? I can't think of anything else
    Quote Quote  
  15. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've imported everything into Encore, but the timeline is set to 4:3, not 16:9, and the button to change it is greyed out. What's the deal?

Also, is there a way I can get a background onto a pop-up menu? Encore's just removing the background and only showing the buttons at this stage.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I think timeline AR is set to your asset settings or project settings. You can play with the settings or conform the file (right click in the clip bin) by using interpret footage that will switch the timeline AR

Pop up backgrounds in encore cs4 are limited. Difficult to hack
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/153/tn_15377.html
    Quote Quote  
  17. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So I've transcoded the timeline, and attempted to build a disc image. It's 17-18 GB all up. However, at some point in the build process, it returns an error about there not being enough space on the media, and the project size is suddenly 28 GB, which is larger than a Blu-Ray disc. What's going on?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Not sure, sound like encore overshot the bitrate. I don't use encore to encode, just to author

Contact adobe for support
    Quote Quote  
  19. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I changed the transcode settings, and it worked. The number remained the same the entire way through the project, so I have no idea where the extra 11 GB came from last time.

I mounted the image in PowerISO, and attempted to open it in PowerDVD, which claims that it's an unsupported disc type. Is this a problem with my image, or does PowerISO not work with Blu-Ray, or what? PowerDVD claims to be compatible, so I doubt the problem's there.
    Quote Quote  
  20. What did you mount with?

I think the pro version of Daemon tools works (but I'm sure the normal version doesn't)

Virtual clone drive works as well

Newer versions of PowerDVD apparently have issue with home-brew blu-ray ISOs. Really old (6.x) versions work better

You could use other software like WinDVD as well to check the image (which is what I use)

Or maybe you did something wrong with authoring
    Quote Quote  
  21. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mounted it with Virtual CloneDrive, and PowerDVD plays it now.

What software do you recommend to burn the ISO to disc?
    Quote Quote  
  22. imgburn udf 2.5 profile . Nero works fine too

I've never used encore to burn, so I don't know if that works
    Quote Quote  
  23. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've used encore in the past, but it's far too iffy for my liking. I build an ISO to test anyway, I figure I might as well burn that.

I'll give ImgBurn a shot just as soon as I get a Blu-Ray writer, which should hopefully be before the week is out.
    Quote Quote