VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So basically, whatever files I run with VirtualDub/Mod don't use ffdshow, or atleast the system tray icons don't appear, unless I use Avisynth. Is there any way I can load files with ffdshow into VirtualDub without using Avisynth?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use the FFDShow VFW configuration to turn on the vfw features that virtualdub can use. I suspect that the ones you are seeing at the moment are DirectShow filters being called from avisynth.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, I see. Then is there any way to get VirtualDub to use ffdshow audio (without Avisynth)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check the ffdshow configurations ("Video decoder configuration," "Audio decoder configuration" from ffdshow's Start Menu folder), under "DirectShow control" in both configuration windows. Does VirtualDub show up anywhere in the "Don't use ffdshow in:" boxes?

Of course, it's also possible that something may have given itself higher merit than ffdshow, so VirtualDub would use it before considering ffdshow... but I'd wonder about the above, first.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    Check the ffdshow configurations ("Video decoder configuration," "Audio decoder configuration" from ffdshow's Start Menu folder), under "DirectShow control" in both configuration windows. Does VirtualDub show up anywhere in the "Don't use ffdshow in:" boxes?
    Nope.

Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    Of course, it's also possible that something may have given itself higher merit than ffdshow, so VirtualDub would use it before considering ffdshow... but I'd wonder about the above, first.
    I don't think any audio decompressor loads, since there's no audio playback, and under file information I get the following:

Quote Quote  
  6. vdub doesn't use ffdshow audio which is directshow based. You need acm type codecs for audio - and ffdshow doesn't have an acm type equivalent for audio (like it has vfw for video)

e.g. if you have ac3, install ac3acm. if you have mp3, install lame acm

if it's some other type of audio or you don't know, use mediainfo and post the information back here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    if you have mp3, install lame acm
    Isn't Lame for encoding only?
    It will give VDub the extensive abilities to write MP3, but not read.

You'll probably already have the standard Fraunhofer MP3 ACM : l3codeca.acm or similar name for playing MP3.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by AlanHK
    Isn't Lame for encoding only?
    It will give VDub the extensive abilities to write MP3, but not read.

You'll probably already have the standard Fraunhofer MP3 ACM : l3codeca.acm or similar name for playing MP3.
    You're probably right AlanHK. I remember you had some issues with that on another thread

But looking at his audio, it is unlikely to be mp3 since it's 6 channel
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    I remember you had some issues with that on another thread
    Yes, learnt about that the hard way.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yea, sorry, forgot to mention, it's AAC. And yup, already got lame.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Renegade
    Yea, sorry, forgot to mention, it's AAC.
    Then you pretty much have to use avisynth if you want to use vdub, there is no AAC ACM type codec. Or you could convert to wav and import it separately
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yea, I was thinking about importing it with avisynth, converting the audio, then re-importing without avisynth and importing the converted audio seperately. What does avisynth do to the audio though? Does it change the quality in any way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Renegade
    What does avisynth do to the audio though? Does it change the quality in any way?
    Avisynth just decodes it (if it can), so you get an uncompressed audio stream.
    So if you open the AVS file with Vdub, you can save the audio as wave, or compress to whatever format you like.
    So there wil be a conversion loss when you recompress, depending on what format you choose.

You can also get the Avisynth plugin Soundout, which will pop up an audio panel giving you convenient conversion options.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So whether it's decoded by avisynth or another decoder doesn't matter? You still end up with the same basic uncompressed audio stream?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Renegade
    So whether it's decoded by avisynth or another decoder doesn't matter? You still end up with the same basic uncompressed audio stream?
    As far as I understand, yes.

There are many ways to encode, as it's a lossy process, but decoding should be deterministic and give the same result regardless.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gotcha, thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote