VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey there, I'm looking at buying a portable DVD player (Axion AXN-6071). They say it only plays region 1 DVD's, just wondering if it's possible to change it to all regions. Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Portables are virtually impossible to hack.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh? I had no idea. Why is that? You'd think they'd be like the Nintendo DS in that being portable, you can enjoy any region on them.

So there's no chance of punching in a code with the remote? Only chipping it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have never seen a portable player that can be hacked to region free....ever.
    Quote Quote  
  5. They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some portables in the past could be hacked. Most could not, but some could be. However, today it is very very rare to find such portables.

@eastpole - I cannot recommend that you buy any portable from region 1 for this purpose. We get posts here all the time from Aussie and European travelers who buy portables on visits to the US and just assume that they can be made region free later. They are quite surprised to find out that this is not the case.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I took a quick look at the above websites advertising region free portable players. Since you said that region free portable players are rare, I am curious where all those advertised region free players are originally sold- China? Certainly not sold in USA.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You may need a grain of salt with my "pre-hacked" comment. There are apparently portable players which natively support multi-region play, including NTSC/PAL conversion.

HECH54 did not say region free players are rare, he said:

I have never seen a portable player that can be hacked to region free
    That is, if you purchase a region 1 player, don't expect to be able to hack it to region free. If you want a region free portable player, buy a region free portable player right from the start.

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just for shits and giggles....and out of the utmost distrust of 220-electronics....I picked one of their portable DVD players at random and did some simple research....and my suspicions were correct.
    The (portable) players they have available are already region free from the factory. I picked the Philips PET741 at random:
    Video disc playback system PAL, NTSC
    http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/blu-ray-dvd/pet741_37/prd/us/
    And I believe I'm on the US website too.

220-electronics simply preys on people who do not know exactly what
    to look for in a player that will play their "overseas discs". I've said
    it from day one and I constantly prove my point time and time again.
    Sure many manufacturers do not list region/video format information
    on their websites....but how many poor people think that only the Philips PET741
    sold by 220-electronics is region free...as if they do something special to them of have them
    made for them that way.
    Bullshitters....plain and simple.
    People should use 220-electronics as a guide for which player to look for....nothing more.
    Quote Quote