VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, I'm taking the liberty of posting my (query?) more a statement before reading all the other posts as I am baffled as to why in general I feel it is getting ever more difficult to accomplish tasks. I am not the most tech savvy being around so even some of the best explained posts I struggle a little with. That said, my point is this; when I first started dabbling with video (mainly importing DV video off my tape camcorder, more recently delving into the world of analog video to PC) it seemed quite easy.The easiest was when I borrowed my father in laws HDD/DVD/SD Hitachi DZ HZ500E combi , the contents recorded on the HDD used to transfer to PC in a simple folder full of the seperate clips. More recently I borrowed it, went to transfer it and on trying to view the finished article I found a great big VRO file unreadable except by windows media player.Even this is one huge file and I cannot identify the seperate clips. Is this as a result of downloading Updates which sneakily make it harder to do simple tasks with old software so as you have to pay a lot more to do what used to be free. (Realplayer for example, burning dvd only available in deluxe or wotever its called.)Or am I paranoid???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    stellabelch, I split your post to a new topic as you may get more answers that way. And you should probalby edit your topic as it seems you copied it twice in the post.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you had transferred in video mode you would have got the usual video_ts folder full of IFO and VOB files, but what's done is done.

Mpeg-streamclip can read your VRO file and re-package it into an mpeg file without re-encoding. From there you can edit it in VideoRedo or Womble Mpeg Video Wizard or one of the free mpeg-2 editors.

It has nothing to do with updates. You changed your process, by the sounds of it unwittingly, when you did the initial transfer from the HDD recorder.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh cobblers!! Sorry, I thought it was a big post, just shows what you are up against, I was sure I only previewed it the first time! Guns1inger; is it possible to do what you said ie change the process, and how may I have done it; on the camcorder (incidentally the HDD I mention is in the camcorder itself) or on my PC. I'm (fairly...) sure all I had to do was link via USB and it used to transfer to my PC into folders called DZ-USBHDD 1, 2 etc for each successive group of clips I downloaded from the camcorder.Then all I did was open each file and all the clips were there, already as Mpegs ready to play. I did notice from other recent posts on a quick google visit which prompted my "paranoia" as a few people have quoted the VRO situation as a recent thing. Sorry for the gobbldegook, hope you have good patience!
    Quote Quote