VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Newbie here. Only worked on SD DVD project before

If I don't want to burn then to disc (still quite expensive at $5/piece), is there any option to create just the files to play back on computer?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. HDV format from a camcorder? You just plug in camcorder and do a file transfer to hard drive and play the file with any video player software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In the old days, there are ways to embed menu in to a video file. Does such thing exist in the hdv land?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't remember that.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cheerful
    In the old days, there are ways to embed menu in to a video file. Does such thing exist in the hdv land?
    If you are thinking of Divx Ultra and Divx authoring then no, there is nothing equivalent to that. Divx does support HD resolutions, and may support Divx authoring in HD resolution files, but these will only be playable on your PC using the Divx player. I suggest you go to the Divx website and see what they have to offer.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Burn avchd made from multiavchd with menu onto dvdr and watch on blu-ray player that accepts avchd-dvdr.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or make a avchd iso and mount with Virtual CloneDrive and watch on computer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What's the max length for AVCHD-DVDR?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maximum amount is around 4.37 gb so a 2 hour movie bitrate is 4100kbps with 640kb ac3,a 90 minute movie is 5700kbs with 640kb ac3,that includes the overhead for authoring to avchd.

So its bitrate calculated to running time that gives you the maximum amount you put on a dvdr.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Remember that the overheads for authoring an AVCHD formatted disc are far higher than those required for authoring a standard DVD. I aim for a target size of 4200 MB for the M2TS stream. The authoring overheads eat the rest of the disc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For an mkv file i find 4050 kb the max size when i author to avchd due to the overhead which is around 300mb for a 4.37 gb dvdr.
    Quote Quote  
  12. What's a reasonable bitrate for a full HD DV video (1920x1080, 24 fps)?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Where can I find a bitrate calculator that can deal with avchd-dvdr (has the correct information about the overhead)? DVD-HQ does not have it listed.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use VideoCalc and set disc size to custom 4200mb for avchd-dvd5 and 7300mb for avchd-dvd9.5mbps and up for 1080.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I found that a Sony HD camcorder is producing 1440x1080 MTS at about 8 mbps. It's from a friend so that I don't know if the setting has low bitrate or sth like that. The video quality is reasonable.

It would mean for home video, even 8 mbps is good enough, right?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Remember that the overheads for authoring an AVCHD formatted disc are far higher than those required for authoring a standard DVD. I aim for a target size of 4200 MB for the M2TS stream. The authoring ov
    erheads eat the rest of the disc.
    it never happen to me
    Quote Quote