VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    digital-cam sc-d351..trying to import with Windows Movie Maker...
    OS is Vista 64-bit...
    Samsung agent recommended installing codec 64-bit from http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm .. i did that, but i have the same problem...
    playback happens too quickly...
    On import using Movie Maker shows the "Tape Position" at 36 seconds, but the "Video Imported" is at 20 seconds. On playback of tape, everything is playing too quickly (it's cramming 36 seconds into 20 seconds)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried WinDV...captured ok in terms of video speed, but audio is choppy

Any advice?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Those two programs are usually the most bulletproof for capturing DV. But I just noticed you are running Vista64. I don't know if they're compatible with that.

Also, I don't know how you tested. Maybe you're just having playback issues and the DV AVI file itself is fine?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Playback on MiniDV camcorder is ok, always has been ok. It is the source of the video footage.

After importing video from MiniDV Camcorder using WinDV, I played video on PC using Windows Media Player. The video is normal. The audio is choppy. I checked the audio on the original MiniDV tape and it is fine. The AVI file created by WinDV has the choppy audio.

Yes, it is 64-bit Vista. The spec for WinDV does not list Vista 64-bit (spec not updated since 2003?), but one commenter claimed that it worked.

Not sure if I have a configuration issue and a conflict between WinDV and my camcorder, although i can't find any settings to change. I've read some posts that state to ensure the bit rates are the same with the two systems, but I'm too new at this to know what to check.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Keep in mind that WinDV is a 32 bit program and you are running 64 bit Windows. The most likely place for problems is with WinDV. There's nothing really to configure -- the DV arriving from all camcorders over the firewire port is the same.

Do you have some old DV AVI files (known good files) that you can try playing? Do they play properly? That would rule out a playback issue. It's not likely that WMP has problems playing back DV AVI files anyway.

Conversely, can you play your DV AVI files on another computer? Do they play properly there?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never imported video from Mini DV camcorder until now, so i have no previous reference.

I don't have a firewire card on another computer, so I can't try that.

I will take the AVI file imported on the VISTA64 pc and try to playback that file on an XP machine.

I will post the results. Tx.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've captured DV for eons with Vista 64 without any problems.

The choppy audio may be more related to your playback software than the capture. This is less likely with WMP, though. Vista using a totally different infrastructure than XP to play sound. You may have a soundcard with poor drivers.

To really test if the AVI is bad send it back to the camcorder and listen to the audio. If it is choppy then the AVI is almost certainly at fault. If it isn't choppy then it is either a decoder issue or a driver/hardware issue. You could also try encoding the AVI to, for example, WMV to see if the choppiness changes. Windows Movie Maker will do this.

Finally, your camcorder may be using a non-standard audio format (16-bit/48kHz and 12-bit/32kHz are the norm but the DV spec supports others).

(BTW, I am flabbergasted that a company agent would recommend a codec pack but that's another story)
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't have 64 bit Vista running on any computers but I do have 64 bit Windows 7. Both type 1 and type 2 DV AVI files play back properly on that computer with WMP. I don't have a DV camcorder with a working firewire port so I can't test WinDV on it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried taking the AVI produced on my VISTA64 system and copied to an XP system. Playback on the XP system is the same problem. The video/audio runs too quickly.

I've never done this Mini DV import to a PC, so I don't have any old DV AVI's to test. I have regular AVI movies and they play back without problems, but they didn't come from the Mini DV.

All Windows updates done, critical and non-critical.

Using Windows Movie Maker, in the Import Video window, I have the Digital Video Camera Controls options. If I choose the Play option, the video camera will play the video in normally (normal speed). I can see the video running in the Import Video preview window and it is running normally. When I start recording ("Start Video Import"), it seems good in the Preview Window. Once I finish importing, I play the AVI or WMV just created, and the video/audio both play at a fast speed.

The Audio Mode on the video camera is set to SP, 12Bit.

I've scrapped the WinDV idea for now since i had the Audio issue with that.

Tx all for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Most capture programs only let you see the video and not hear the audio. It might be worth trying our software to help troubleshoot this since it will let you listen to the audio from the live DV feed. If it sounds choppy even without capturing then that points the finger more towards the computer's audio. It will also let you capture in raw DV format instead of AVI which may further help troubleshooting.

On your camcorder, try changing the audio from 12-bit (which should mean two channel 32kHz, 12-bit) to 44kHz/16-bit and see if that does anything. The 32kHz is lower quality and also a source of confusion since there are two 32kHz modes - a single stereo channel (16-bit) and a dual stereo channel (12-bit compressed).
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you say to use 'our software', are you referring to WinDV?

I thought i'd abandon that since it was questionable if it was supported with Vista64.

I will try changing to 16 bit to see if it helps. Tx.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Check the AVI header with GSpot or MediaInfo. Those will tell you the flagged frame rate. You can also try changing the header's frame rate with AviFrate. Most players will play DV AVI at the flagged bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When JohnnyMalaria mentioned "our software," he was speaking of the Enosoft DV Processor. It's mighty nice.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm unfortunately still struggling along here. I've tried a lot of different options, and here they are:
    1) Windows Movie Maker: Regardless if I make a AVI or WMV, playback speed (on Windows Media Player) is nearly twice as fast as normal. Even using DVdate to xfer Type 1 AVI to Type 2 AVI produces a video running at nearly twice the speed.
    2) WinDV: Regardless if I select Type 1 or 2, the playback speed is normal but the sound is choppy. 'Choppy' can be described as normal for one second, then mute for 0.2 seconds and it cycles like that continuously for the full video (it may not be exactly 1/0.2 second ratio).
    3) Enosoft: Producing a Type 1 or Type 2 AVI produces the same problem as WinDV. Interestingly, producing a Raw DV file and playing it back using QuickTime Player has normal speed and the sound seems normal (although the video quality doesn't seem as nice). Using QuickTime Player, I opened the Type2 AVI file and I have the same choppy sounds. I opened the Type1 AVI file with QT and the sound is normal, as is the playback speed.

As far as changing the Audio mode, I've changed it from 12-bit mode to 16-bit, but i get the same choppy sound.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by maju763
    Interestingly, producing a Raw DV file and playing it back using QuickTime Player has normal speed and the sound seems normal (although the video quality doesn't seem as nice). Using QuickTime Player, I opened the Type2 AVI file and I have the same choppy sounds. I opened the Type1 AVI file with QT and the sound is normal, as is the playback speed.
    The implication here is that the audio in the type 2 file is somehow messed up.

Note that when DV arrives at the firewire port the audio and video are multiplexed. A type 1 DV AVI file contains that multiplexed stream in the AVI file marked only as a video stream. Many editors and players don't know how to demux the audio and video from that DV stream, they will only access the video since the stream is marked as video. This is why the type 2 DV AVI file was created. When the multiplexed video and audio arrive at the firewire port they are both saved as a video stream, just like a Type 1 DV AVI file. But a second copy of only the audio is also saved in the file, marked as an audio stream. Most editors and players can handle this properly.

Can you upload a short sample that shows the problem? You can use a file transfer service like MediaFire.com or MegaUpload.com if the file is over 6MB (the limit here).
    Quote Quote  
  16. It looks to me like you are having severe problems capturing from the firewire port. There are many missing frames in your samples. This is causing the video to be very jerky and the audio discontinuities. I don't know what might be causing this. Firewire driver problems? Incompatability with the camcorder? I find it hard to believe Quicktime Player can play these smoothly. I don't have it installed so I can't test for myself. But I tried several media players and editors and they all showed the same thing: ~12 seconds of audio and video, 365 frames, jerky video, missing audio.

Are you capturing directly to an external drive? If so, try capturing to an internal drive instead.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Did you ever get a resolution to this? I am experiencing Choppy audio as well when I capture it from my Samsung MiniDV camcorder. However some of my tapes capture fine.
    Quote Quote