VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let me preface this by saying I used to dabble in video capturing and editing but it's been a few years and I've probably forgotten more than I remember.

I've got an old VisionTek Theater 550 Pro card that I'd like to use and am looking for capture software that A) will run under Windows 7 and B) utilizes the hardware MPEG2 encoder. I'm using Media Center for TV purposes, but I'd like something that I can use to capture other sources (VHS in particular) without having to convert from WTV to DVR-MS to AVI, etc.

I've looked at ChrisTV which does run under Win7 and appears to use the hardware encoder, but I'm not all that inclined to give him my money for a couple of reasons. There seem to be a couple of PVR packages that might use the hardware encoder, but I'm looking for something a little...less. I don't need another PVR package installed on that box.

Does anyone know of any standalone capture software that might fit the bill?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Graphedit will do that but without fancy gui.
    Note: Windows 7 need is own version of graphedit. Accordig to this link is necessary to have Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 to work.
    http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-104234.html

The graphedit filter should look like this:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic369372.html#1978504
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent information, thanks!

I've gotten Graphedit installed and working, and have configured the graph, but can't get it to run. I'm getting a "No time stamp has been set for this sample" error. I'm not getting the clock icon on the file writer filter as is shown in the example. Is file writer the correct filter for this? I can't select clock on any of the other filters either.

Hardware and drivers appear to be working, with AmCap I'm able to get both audio and video.

I'll continue to play around and see what I can figure out.

Edit: The problem is definitely with the file writer filter. I split the stream out to a demultiplexer just to confirm that I was able to get video and audio and it works fine, and I'm able to select clock on both the demultiplexer and the DirectSound device. Perfect video and audio. As soon as I add in a the file writer filter, I'm back to the time stamp error. Here's the filter as I've got it configured:

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The file writer is for avi container. For mpeg container the latest filter should be a dump filter. In my graph is Cyberlink found in DirectShow Filters section. To have this, you need some aplication from Cyberlink, mine come from PowerCinema. There is also dump filter from others on web and I think should be one freeware.

Here is a free dump filter. I don`t know if is good for Windows 7. You need to register first and then use. On XP regdrop.exe can register/unregister .dll .ax files.
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42503

dump_filter+regdrop.rar
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I figured I was doing something wrong - dump works perfectly, thanks a bunch for the help!
    Quote Quote