VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like a great place.

I recently purchased my first decent PC, an HP Pavilion Elite e9120y (Phenom II X4 910 CPU), and last Saturday bought a Vizio VS420M LCD TV. I have added a Gateway HD2201 monitor monitor, HDMI cable, HP SimpleSave 1TB external hard drive (for storing video), and Logitech Z-2300 speakers. So, I am kind of a video buff on a budget, guy.

I now spend my time getting things like MPC, MPCHC, VLC, CCC pack, Haali Splitter, CoreAVC, MatroskaPack, etc. (some may be redundant?). Suggestions on media/video software? I would appreciate any tips or directions to improve viewing.

Regards
    /Jay
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Aristocles, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz

What type of video do you plan to work with? That usually determines the software to use. If it's DVD format, or HD format, or some type of AVI, all usually require something different in the way of software. The playback software you listed seems like a good start. Quicktime and Real can be added by Quicktime Alternative and Real Alternative players to avoid some of the bloatware from those OEM software suppliers.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The tone, tenor, and content of the post as well as the definition of THIS forum seemed neither indicative nor prescriptive as to post titles being in any way precise.

My forum title reads: "Newbie / General" (sic)

It certainly appears that most are more precise, I will not post further until I have more exacting topics.

I appreciate the welcome. If possible I had rather have the post/s deleted.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Relax, you're not being picked on. A simple "okay" would have sufficed. :P

So tell us what you intend to do. The mention of the new TV leads me to believe you'll be interested in high-definition video. Are you looking to set up an HTPC?

MPCHC is a good choice, and I presume you can enable hardware acceleration with your video card(?) View --> Options --> Internal Filters. Enable H264/AVC (DXVA) and VC1 (DXVA). I don't use the CCC pack but if it contains ffdshow and Haali splitter you've got most things covered. MPCHC has its own filters as well.

If you'll be viewing Blu-Ray/AVCHD on the HDTV from your computer you have choices to make. BD-ROM or Blu-Ray burner? Rip or play from disc? Playing from disc puts unnecessary wear on the drive, IMO, when you can rip it instead. You can use something like PowerDVD (ugh, I have it and uninstalled it), or get AnyDVDHD and use it in conjunction with a better player to play BD discs or images. I use TMT, but the freeware Splash has had favorable mention here.

If you provide more information, the folks here can provide specific guidance for you. Welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The reason we ask for clear post titles is that many members use the search function to find posts that may concern a topic of interest to them and without a clear title there's no way to know what the post is about and it can't be found on a search. It's nothing personal, just SOP (Standard Operating Proceedure.}
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I overreacted.

My interests are rather limited. I want to be able to playback video files that are as mentioned in "fritzi93"'s third paragraph. I simply want to make sure I have the best 'players' and most up to date codecs/filters downloaded. The other area of interest was in viewing Blu-ray discs, both on my PC and my television. Next month I intend to purchase a HTIB (Yamaha YHT-591) and a standalone Blu-ray player for the television.

I asked, read, and weighed the options as to HTPC and came to the conclusion that all things considered it wasn't financially pleasing.

All up, I enjoy my monitor fine for now.

My ultimate goal is to build a video library of ~120 films, beginning with the Lumiere brothers

Thanks guys, and I apologize for misunderstanding.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Dunno who you asked, but you already have what you need for an HTPC.

Mine is not high-end, I built it to be adequate for the job, not for bragging rights. :P I have a 42" plasma HDTV that I use as a monitor and a Hauppauge HD capture device. Otherwise, nothing remarkable about it except it has more hard drive space than a typical PC.

You might be interested in some articles over <-- there about converting videos to highly compressed formats. Even a TB drive can get filled rather quickly if you're a video buff.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Talking- better yet electronically corresponding- with guys on the AVS forums. . .

I would need to upgrade my direcTV package to an HD Satellite and receiver, then I would need a ATSC HDTV tuner. (Although, I do have an HD DirecTV package, I await the box.) But I'd have to purchase a tuner, correct? I want to watch HDTV.. . football fan

Maybe if it's cheaper to go with an HTPC setup, I should? It is entirely possible that I have misunderstood some things.

Thanks for the info, I will read. This place is a treasure trove of information.

What do you make of the splash lite download? I got it vai a link from here, I assume it can be used for playback.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aristocies
    I would need to upgrade my direcTV package to an HD Satellite and receiver, then I would need a ATSC HDTV tuner. (Although, I do have an HD DirecTV package, I await the box.) But I'd have to purchase a tuner, correct? I want to watch HDTV.. . football fan smile.gif
    Well yes to a degree.

If you don't "have" to have cable/sat channels in hd than a simple aerial tuner with an atsc hd capture card or adapter will let you watch and record "over the air" digital channels in hd.

If you do "want it all" than yes you will need to upgrade to your services hd package. That will include the necessary high def tuner for your subscriber and the appropriate hd package. I'm sure you'll know that any premium channels like the NFL network will be an extra premium.

If you want to capture your sat box in hd you will need a hauppauge hd pvr 1212 usb box. It captures via component cables (the three red, green, blue cables).

You can get a blackmagic intensity hdmi capture card but I am not sure how it handles all of the encrpytion stuff these days. PLus you'd need a raid storage system for the huge files it captures in.

For an htpc the main thing you need to do is to make sure you have an hdcp compatible video card so you can watch bluray off your computer if that is one of your goals (over the air digital is not protected but bluray is and needs a hdmi cable plugged in to your tv/monitor to work).

But as mentioned you will need to seriously think about lots of storage space if you are going to be saving and converting high def movies into digital files. A 2 hour movie can easily be upwards of 10gb depending on what bitrate you use and if its in surround sound and things like that.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Originally Posted by aristocies
    I would need to upgrade my direcTV package to an HD Satellite and receiver, then I would need a ATSC HDTV tuner. (Although, I do have an HD DirecTV package, I await the box.) But I'd have to purchase a tuner, correct? I want to watch HDTV.. . football fan smile.gif
    Well yes to a degree.

If you don't "have" to have cable/sat channels in hd than a simple aerial tuner with an atsc hd capture card or adapter will let you watch and record "over the air" digital channels in hd.

If you do "want it all" than yes you will need to upgrade to your services hd package. That will include the necessary high def tuner for your subscriber and the appropriate hd package. I'm sure you'll know that any premium channels like the NFL network will be an extra premium.

If you want to capture your sat box in hd you will need a hauppauge hd pvr 1212 usb box. It captures via component cables (the three red, green, blue cables).

You can get a blackmagic intensity hdmi capture card but I am not sure how it handles all of the encrpytion stuff these days. PLus you'd need a raid storage system for the huge files it captures in.

For an htpc the main thing you need to do is to make sure you have an hdcp compatible video card so you can watch bluray off your computer if that is one of your goals (over the air digital is not protected but bluray is and needs a hdmi cable plugged in to your tv/monitor to work).

But as mentioned you will need to seriously think about lots of storage space if you are going to be saving and converting high def movies into digital files. A 2 hour movie can easily be upwards of 10gb depending on what bitrate you use and if its in surround sound and things like that.
    Thanks for the reply. I understand completely. We discussed the '1212' as well as the 'over the air' channels.

I suspect the vast majority of the titles that make my list will be between 4 and 7 GB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aristocles
    I suspect the vast majority of the titles that make my list will be between 4 and 7 GB.
    Are you still discussing hd in this light? If so it sounds as if you are targeting for avchd or mkv/mp4 in high def mode.

You can do single or dual layer dvdrs and do avchd or burn the mkv or mp4 file on them quite easily. The file transfer that is. Encoding will be different and depend on the speed of your computer.

Don't forget to consider a good remote control if you stick with a htpc.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well put yoda.

An HTPC doesn't necessarily require a capture device to qualify as an HTPC, although mine has one. You can use it as a media player for rips, etc.

IMO, the Hauppauge HD-PVR is the way to go to record from HD cablebox or sat receiver.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Descr...+pvr&x=13&y=32

As to a remote, I kind of agree with Nelson (a member here) that a mouse is the best remote for an HTPC. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard. But I also have an iMon that can launch programs, select files with keypad or mouse buttons, has the usual multimedia buttons, and programmable buttons as well. It's handier than the mouse when laying on the sofa. :P

I convert Blu-Ray rips to AVCHD (BD5/9) and HD captures as well. H264 (AVC) is so efficient that a full length movie can often fit on a single layer DVDR with acceptable quality. Or a dual layer if it's long. Saves a lot of hard drive space.

[EDIT] Some captures I edit out adverts with tsSniper and leave as transport streams on the HTPC. Others are converted to matroska container (*.mkv). MPCHC is fine for playing those and everything else besides BD/AVCHD. Although you can go into the Stream folder and play the m2ts directly, but you lose navigation (chapters).
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yoda and fritzi:

I do plan on 'targeting for avchd or mkv/mp4 in high def mode.' I just want to make sure I have a top notch viewer and latest codecs, for now.

The next thing to look toward is learning converting skills.

I appreciate all of the replies. I am much obliged.

You guys know anything about the HP SimpleSave? I haven't connected mine yet but from what I read, it just immediately starts copying your HDD. I, of course, merely want movie files. . .
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Aristocles
    What do you make of the splash lite download? I got it vai a link from here, I assume it can be used for playback.
    This is player dedicated for HD videos.
    It has its own proprietary codecs for h.264 and mpeg2.
    I use it mostly for AVCHD clips (I don't know better software for camcorder clips playback at the moment) and for mkv.
    Quote Quote