VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 2.53 chip and 504 mb of ram on my current computer.

I am in college and i want to have a small laptop to bring with me everywhere. I need to also edit movies that i make. The program i use is windows movie maker and the longest movie i need to make is around 5 minutes usually.

My question is, would a net book like an asus eee work for editing movies i make? heres some specs of the asus eee 1005ha: 1.66GHz chip/ 1gb ddr ram/ 100 gb hard drive.

The biggest difference is that the laptop has twice as much ram as mine, but about 1 less ghz of chip.

Would the ram make up for the chip?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes and no, more RAM will help when editing but a faster CPU will help when encoding.
    You can get a notebook with better specs than that netbook for a little more money(~$500), also notebooks will have Win7 64bit installed instead of XP on 10/22.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i see, i will try and find a note book then. any suggestions? what would be a minumum ram/ cpu speed for the kind of videos that i make? i will never have to make anything over 5 minutes
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by errolprowse
    i see, i will try and find a note book then. any suggestions? what would be a minumum ram/ cpu speed for the kind of videos that i make? i will never have to make anything over 5 minutes
    What are your source and destination formats?

Win movie maker normally outputs wmv but it can output DV-AVI.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I'm going to say a big fat NO on any video editing with the atom processor...you would go absolutely nuts even rendering SD stuff if it's of any decent size/quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO using a ATOM cpu will take forever and a day for any type of video editing. Unless you got tons of time on your hands to wait for encoding to finish or if you plan on leaving your netbook on overnight!
    Quote Quote