VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I am hoping your knowledgeable people can help me find a cheap-to-reasonably priced Blu-Ray player that can also play high-def MKV files through USB, writable DVD, or whatever input device may be available (SD card, whatever). Support for AVI files isn't importaint since I have that covered with my MVIX. It doesn't hurt to have Netflix support, though I currently do not have that service so it isn't a must. I am trying to find something under $200, preferably around $150. Will I have any luck finding something like this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Highly doubtful in your price range. I have a BluRay player that has some MKV support, but I haven't tested this as that not what I use it for. My player cost over $300 US. I found some info that some manufacturers are either supporting MKV right now (LG) or will very soon if not now with a firmware update (Samsung) but I couldn't find anything for under $300 US that had it. Maybe others know more than me on this.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just tried a short MKV file on my PS3 last night...No Go. To play a MKV thru a USB port you will need to find a player that accepts NTFS or Exfat. Either that or cut your MKVs into 4gb chunks.

I bought a WD media player for $99. It is not a disk player but it plays NTFS and will play MKV files.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  4. tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just clicked on the Engadget link and it says the player plays .MKVs but when you put the model number in JVCs homepage the product comes up but it doesn't say anything that the page on Engadget says. Nor does it say it on Amazon.com where they have it for sale. I would guess you would have to roll the dice and hope Engadget is on the money
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LG BD390 can play mkv files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Popcornhour C-200 is the ideal product for you... but i think that it will be "buyable" only within 2-3 month because now they have production troubles and the firmware is definitely unripe
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info, I will look into those!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Bwizzy
    I just clicked on the Engadget link and it says the player plays .MKVs but when you put the model number in JVCs homepage the product comes up but it doesn't say anything that the page on Engadget says. Nor does it say it on Amazon.com where they have it for sale. I would guess you would have to roll the dice and hope Engadget is on the money
    http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/15/LVT2007-001B.pdf ...page 30

MPEG4 file requirement
    MPEG4 file compatibility with this player is limited as follows:
    • Available resolution size: 1920 x1080 (W x H) pixels
    • The file names of MPEG4 and subtitle are limited to 50 characters.
    • MPEG4 file extensions: “.avi”, “.mpg”, “.mpeg”, “.mp4”, “.mkv
    • This unit does not support the DivX file.
    • Playable MPEG4 subtitle: SubRip (.srt / .txt), SAMI (.smi), SubStation Alpha (.ssa/.txt), MicroDVD (.sub/.txt), SubViewer 2.0 (.sub/.txt), TMPlayer (.txt), DVD Subtitle System (.txt)
    • Playable Codec format: “XVID”, “H.264/MPEG-4 AVC”
    • Playable Audio format: “Dolby Digital”, “DTS”, “MP3”, “WMA”, “AAC”
    • Sampling frequency: within 8 - 48 kHz (MP3), within 32 - 48 kHz (WMA)
    • Bit rate: within 8 - 320 kbps (MP3), within 32 - 164 kbps (WMA)
    • CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, BD-R/RE Format: ISO 9660+JOLIET, UDF and UDF Bridge format
    • Maximum Files/Folder: Less than 650 (total number of files and folders)
    • Not all the WMA Audio format is compatible with this unit.
    • This player support H.264/MPEG-4 AVC profile Main, High at Level 4.1. For a file with higher level, the player will ask whether you want to play or not.
    • Displaying subtitle file is not available for video files with “.mpg” and “.mpeg” extensions.
    • HD movie files contained on the CD or USB 1.0/1.1 may not played properly. BD, DVD or USB 2.0 are recommended to play back HD movie files.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by l0ngview0
    a cheap-to-reasonably priced Blu-Ray player that can also play high-def MKV files through USB, writable DVD, or whatever input device may be available (SD card, whatever).
    I'll let you know after you find me a new mazarati for the price of a carola.

You might amuse yourself in the interim with the

asus o
    popcorn c-200
    wd hd tv -- version 2

accept nothing unless it can mount multiple simultaneous (lan) CIFS shares with authentication support, stream without downloading, open firmware or open api for community expansion, can receive a transcoded stream from another lan box for formats it cannot play direction, eSata for really local NAS, and definitely nothing that is first generation
    websearch: The Peoples Cube
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You've got to ask to know. I remember back in 2002 the dirt cheep APEX DVD player was the first one I owned that played VCD and SVCD perfectly. My $200 one didn't do that.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by HalfAzPVR
    for formats it cannot play direction

^ direction == directly
    websearch: The Peoples Cube
    Quote Quote  
  13. The problem with Blu-Ray players that Play MKV is that they are limited to 4GB in size. That OK for HD TV shows but not movies.

So that limits you to:

1.) HTPC
    2.) Media Streamer link Popcorn Hour
    3. ) PS3. But you will need MKVtoVOB.
    For the love of God, use hub/core labels on your Recordable Discs!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The LG BD390 supports ntfs drives thru the usb port and plays mkv no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    reasonal price and with mkv?ok,there is a good recommendation to you
    Samsung BD-P1600 Blu-ray Player w/BD Live, Netflix
    not matter the price and the device ,all meet your needs,haha,dont miss the chance to get it.
    http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d76662&ru=2860012
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been looking around for a Blu-Ray player that had a USB and played DivX. I found 2 but they are UK models only and I'm in the US. After almost giving up, I found this one:

LG Network Blu-ray Disc Player BD390

* Player Type: Blu-ray Player
    * Color: Black
    * Disc Changer: 1-Disc
    * Disc Playback Capability: Audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW, Blu-ray Disc, BD-R, BD-RE, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
    * File Playback Formats: MPEG2, MPEG4 AVC, SMPTE VC1, AVCHD, DivX, DivX HD, MKV
    * Video D/A Converter: 148Mhz / 12-bit
    * Audio D/A Converter: 192KHz / 24-bit
    * Decoder: Linear PCM, Dolby TrueHD, dts-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital 2 ch Down Mix, Dolby Digital, dts
    * Model #: BD390

As you see it also plays .mkv and HD as well. The USB is on the front. I've read a lot of good reviews on this model and it's also rated #3 on the most recent Comsumer Reports mag. Oppo was #1 and I forget #2. However, those didn't have the capabilities I wanted and cost more. This one right now is around 275.00. It appears that it had been on sale recently for 249.00 so I'm waiting to see if maybe it goes down again before I buy.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The LG390 almost seems to be that Perfect Player a lot of people have been waiting for - Network capable, NTFS support, MKV playback, BluRay player... Actually, if it combined these wonderful capabilities with the SD Freeview recording abilities of the LG 400 I'd be seriously considering binning my HTPC!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SD Freeview recording abilities of the LG 400 I'd be seriously considering binning my HTPC!
    Ok, so I totally have no idea what SD Freeview is or what you mean by "binning my HTPC" Can you explain?

I'm pretty new to this.

Thanks,

Breny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can remux mkv to mpg and it will play on PS3 via USB stick or drive.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by rhegedus
    You can remux mkv to mpg and it will play on PS3 via USB stick or drive.
    Você somente perde qualidade e deixa de ser MKV. Hohohohohohohoho!

O Bluray player LG BD370 lê MKV - eu tenho um. A caixa-preta WD TV HD Player também roda MKV - eu tenho uma.

Dizem por aí, que, o LG BD390 também roda MKV - mas, este eu não tenho e não posso afirmar. Anybody else também diz que o Samsung 1500 suporta MKV com updating de firmware - mais ai, eu duvido.

Eu afirmo: LG BD 370 e WD HD TV Player supports MKV. Eu os possuo!

A porta USB do BD 370 não é compativel com NTFS - somente FAT32. Aí, não tem graça nenhuma!... O ponto alto do MKV é a sua superior qualidade. Se comprimir perde esta qualidade e, assim, é melhor ficar com o DVD mesmo. A bem da verdade quando agora eu assisto a um filme em DVD torço o nariz. Depois que conheci o MKV e similares se tornou difícil querer assistir a outros formatos inferiores de vídeo.
    LG BD 370 - WD TV HD Player
    Quote Quote  
  21. I just purchased the Insignia - Blu-ray Disc Player NS-BRDVD3 from Bestbuy for $129...it plays mkv on DVD5 and AVCHD burned on DVD5 will not play on DL DVD9. Plus it is a Netflix player as well...you will have to do the latest firmware for the NetFlix...but for $129 not a bad player...there is a good thread about this player over at the avsform.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by phantom2010
    Você somente perde qualidade e deixa de ser MKV. Hohohohohohohoho!
    No you don't!

It's a remux, not a transcode.

p.s. English, please
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  23. loughary you may want to check the units specs. Some units like the Samsung will only play DVD-R I can't imagine it not playing DVD DL so try a DVD -R DL disc.

l0ngview0 I'd highly suggest simpy reconverting the Mkv's to AVCHD. If you are going to bother with burning the discs you might as well make them fully compatible with 99% of the Blu-ray players out there. Plenty of simple freeware programs on this site to do the transcoding & if the MKV is already a proper size i.e. 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 then no re-encoding is necessary & a simple 5 minute mux in tsmuxer to compliant AVCHD is all that is required.
    Quote Quote  
  24. [quote="rhegedus"]
    Originally Posted by phantom2010
    It's a remux, not a transcode.

p.s. English, please
    Fica difícil raciocinar em português é escrever em inglês Melhor ler em inglês e escrever em português. Se eu for usar um translator perco tempo e perco a linha de raciocínio São gramáticas muito diferentes. Já estive aí (States), e me dei muito bem!... Geralmente, eu conversava com quem queria me vender algo. Os caras (guys) entendiam tudo o que eu dizia. Hehehehehehehehe
    Vamos internacionalizar o debate

Qual soft você usa para fazer este remux?
    A conexão USB do PS3 suporta arquivos de vídeo maiores que 4 GB? Ou seja, suporta um device com formatação em NTFS?
    Se não suporta!...
    Um arquivo HD com tamanho menor, perde sim - muita - qualidade em relação ao Bluray que lhe deu origem. O 720p é inferior ao 1080p. Quanto menor a resolução (frame/data rate) ou o bitrate, menor a qualidade. Ninguém investe "uma nota preta" (to much bucks) para comprar um Bluray Player para assistir a filmes com qualidade proxima a DVD, ou mesmo inferior em cenas de maior movimento. Joga isto em uma tela de 40" ou maior, e vais ver somente pixelamento.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by a1677c
    mux in tsmuxer to compliant AVCHD is all that is required.
    Tks for tsmuxer.

I have downloaded some movies in .m2ts (extension). Burned it didn't plays in LG BD370. What must I do, for to do that, without quality loss? Please!...
    Quote Quote  
  26. Excuse!...
    I understood now!... The language used here - officially - is English. I think that I'll be reading only what you write.
    Quote Quote