VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just recently moved from XP to WIndows 7, and my trusty Lathe 1.5 does not work in 64bit Windows 7. This is not very good, as I need to be able to convert my DVD fab files to Divx format. That program worked very well, and I need another replacement just as easy as that. Any recommendations?

Joe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could use the free virtual XP component for windows 7 so that all your XP tools are usable.

Or you could look at AutoGK or Xvid4PSP, although 64-bit does limit your choices a lot.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    REALLY???? Where is that virtual XP component for windows 7?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for the link... installing and downloading now...WindowsXPMode.exe file is huge and @ 980K sec is still going to take a few minutes...

I'm also trying AutoGK... seems ok, so far... Converting a movie now. Does that do Divx? or just plain AVI? if you would choose between the two which one is better?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Divx (the container, as opposed tot he codec) is just an extension of the AVI container to allow for the Divx specific features such as chapters and menus. Of course to use these fully tou also need a Divx Ultra capable player.

if you are just doing standard encodes the AutoGK can use the Divx codec to compress videos into the AVI container.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It does either XviD or DivX for AVI. The XviD is included. You're on you own for getting and installing the DivX codec.

Which is better? Six of one and half a dozen of the other if you ask me. But I use XviD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thats ok... K-lite works very well....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It would seem I don't have a compatible CPU... Doh!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It would seem I fixed it.... During the crashing of the application, I quickly went into task manager and right clicked all the processes associated with the program and told it to run in compatibility mode, as Windows XP SP3. and everything worked again...

Happy I was persistent.

joe
    Quote Quote