VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 4 year old LG Plasma TV set with one DVI connection, 720P native resolution. Recently I hooked up my
    Win XP (older) computer to the TV via the AGP video card, nVidia FX5200 128mb with VGA and DVI output. Seems
    I can only get a correct screen using 1024X768, if I bump up the video card resolution to 1920X1080, the display
    is way overscanned with the Windows icons borders cut off. Same with playing DVD videos using Power DVD,
    full screen mode cuts off 1/3 of the picture. Is there any way to correct this using resolutions higher than 1024X768 ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you have tried adjust the overscan size, it looks something like
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'd have to see the manual for your LG TV to be sure of this, but offhand I'm kind of skeptical that your TV will support 1920x1080 if it's a 720p TV. You could try the suggestion and if it works, more power to you. If not, then you can't get full 1920x1080 resolution on that TV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="joecass"]I have a 4 year old LG Plasma TV set with one DVI connection, 720P native resolution. ...quote]

This is not overscan. What your seeing is that your desktop is larger then your display. You can (though I don't know why...) do this to any monitor. 720p (really 768p) is your native resolution.

Even if your TV accepts 1080i/p input, the only thing it can display is 720p. It will downscale this to 720p* just like it will upscale a 480i/p image to 720p. Your cleanest option is to set your desktop to 1024x768 as you have done.

*Actually, it probably takes your 1080 input, downscales it to 720 and then upscales that to 768. Fine for TV or DVD. Not so good for PC or other input requiring 1 to 1 pixel display.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check your TV's manual. I'll bet it instructs you to set your video card to display at your TV's native resolution and frequency for best results. That's 1360 X 768 and 60 Hz for the 3-year old Samsung 720p TV I've looked into using as a monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately the video card is about 4 or so years old, I don't have that same screen in the nVidia settings to adjust the
    picture. I remember many years ago, connecting this computer to my plasma TV, adjusting the resolution to 1080i on the nVidia video card, it worked perfectly playing a DVD movie. Don't have the TV manual, pretty sure it is 1024x768 @ 60hz.
    Maybe I need an updated video card or updated software. The tv accepts 1080i upconvert signals from other sources using
    the Component inputs, so theoretically, it should work with VGA or DVI
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you know the model number for your TV, look to see if the manual is available for download from the manufacturer's website, or if the technical specs for the TV are there. Either should tell you the native resolution and frequency for your TV.

If it turns out you need a setting that isn't available and you don't have the latest driver installed, updating the driver for your video card to the newest version may provide additional settings. NVIDIA seems to be good about continuing support for older video chips.
    Quote Quote