VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a TRV-900 I want to retire and need a good way to archive the MiniDV tapes without quality loss. Can I do this with iMovie 9 on my iMac? Or will it convert it to a lower quality?

I will probably get Premiere Pro CS4 on my Windows machine but I was hoping to use iMovie or another quick and reliable method to save to a USB Disk.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. the only format that can be considered lossless is to keep it in DVavi, the same format as on the tape. it's 13GB/hr so plan accordingly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    and keep your tapes
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can also zip or rar you DV files, you can reduce significantly their size (although compression is rather slow). You can gain up to 100 MB on a 800 MB DV avi file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, that helps.

I will obviously keep the tapes. I'll try doing a straight copy of the avi files, I am too impatient to zip them!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ran into a problem - anyone know how I can mount the camera (firewire only) on my iMac?

I can see it and control it in iMovie, but if I import from there it will be converted to the iMovie format, right? I was hoping to just do a straight copy/archive as suggested.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    glad it's obvious to you
    too bad it isn't to the others
    dunno about your imac
    maybe this bump will help
    Quote Quote