VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, yet another clueless hopeful video converter here! I am currently trying to
    transfer some 8mm tapes to my PC in maybe the eventual hope of creating DVD's, but just to transfer them would do for now. The camcorder I am using is a Sony ccd-tr501e3 off ebay which plays the tapes ok. I already had a firewire card for my other main camcorder which seems work ok but because the digital camcorder wouldn't play analogs I got the this one.It has limited output ; a yellow video out and a black, audio out only, no S-video. I'm using a standard composite 3 part lead with red/yellow/ white plugs at each end, but because the sound into the PC is 3.5mm jack, I used a little adaptor with a green socket and 3.5mm male end. I also purchased a tv/capture card (also off ebay, :( as being a bit clueless as I say this card came with no instructions at all) There is no real manufacturers name on the box but it is called "Expert" , 7130 AA WDM TV tuner. It took an age to install due to lack of instructions but I finally (thought) I'd done it and on hearing and watching the preview on Windows moviemaker seemed fine, apart from sound from one speaker. However on playing back the snippets the sound was atrocious; very tinny and distorted.Incidentally the sound in didn't work on the card so I had to use the normal sound input on my PC.Can anyone help? Hope my PC spec shows on post

img_0448.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The easiest way to do this is to get an analog-to-digital (DV) converter (like a Canopus; there are others, too). Then you're still working in DV and, instead of futzing around in your computer trying to get good analog in, the converter box does it for you.

Stay away from anything by ADS as they sell crap and have heat issues.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You may have plugged the audio into the mic jack on your sound card. That could give you a mismatch and could mess up the audio. It should go to line in. You should be able to get a 'Y' adapter for the audio so you can get the mono audio signal on both input channels. Or you could take out the audio at a later stage and duplicate the channel so you would have two channel mono sound. But a 'Y' adapter is a lot easier.

Those type of cards sometimes have a two pin audio out that you plug into your CD input on the motherboard. Or sometimes they use a cable that goes from the rear of the card to the line in on the sound card. But you would need the proper cable for those.

If you look on our toolpage under 'Capture' you should see several capture programs that will work with a WDM card: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/capture btwincap WDM Video Capture Driver is the first I would try. VirtualVCR is another.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DScaler is the best software for your card. It works even without the driver instalated. Don`t instal the btwincap because your card is driven by Philips Saa7130 cipset and the driver is for Conexant bt8x8.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all , thank you for your replies and also , redwudz, thanks for the welcome. After meddling with some of the software mentioned, I think I have boobed somewhere and now have no sound at all, even in W Movie maker.Am now tempted to the USB version when I have the spare cash, meanwhile I'll go back to my other camcorder (Firewire) and do some of them, and keep an eye on this excellent forum!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hee Haw (In Ass style) Couldn't resist one more dabble, had muted the line in (Shame!!) , then the other sound issue was input volume; slider in Windows movie maker wizard needs to be (in my case anyway) right down. Still only one speaker though, is there such thing as , say, a small splitter like the 2xcomposite female/3.5mm male only instead a composite male?? Thanks to all again!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use a 'Y' splitter like I mentioned before. It's the easiest method to have audio on both channels. You can get about any configuration you want, 2 X RCA to 3.5 stereo or 3.5 mono to 3.5 stereo or others. Worst case, you might have to put together a couple of adapters to get what you want.

Or if you're handy with a soldering iron, make up your own from individual parts.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Back again, just finished my first, hour and 10 min file home video....the sound is at least 10 seconds behind the video ... Time for a Stella!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone know why sound is so mismatched with video? I finished my Stella(burp).
    Quote Quote