VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    There are small lines in about 30%-50% of my .ISO to .AVI conversions. They show up when there is fast motion in the video. Why is this, and why only in roughly half of the conversions?

My settings are:

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. most likely an interlaced source. check your source files beforehand with mediainfo and see if they are. if so they need de-interlacing.

handbrake will use yadif decomb if you click the down arrow after deinterlace and select slower.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you use mediainfo to see if a video .iso is interlaced directly by opening the iso with mediainfo, or do you need to mount the image .iso on a virtual drive, then open the video_ts folder? Or is there a different way?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know GSpot can handle ISO directly. IDK if it will tell you if it's interlaced though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It and most apps will only tell you how it was encoded, and not whether the source is really interlaced. For example, most PAL movies on DVD are progressive, but almost all are encoded as interlaced. Even in NTSC land, progressive 29.97fps content (becoming more common, especially in interviews as part of the extras) is almost always encoded as interlaced. There is no substitute for examining the content yourself.

And as cplevel42 is in NTSC land, even if it really is interlaced, that still doesn't tell you if it needs a plain deinterlacer or an IVTC (or an unblender if PAL2NTSC). If you choose the wrong one it can really screw up your encode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think I've heard the term "unblender" before -- but it's a good one. It's probably some of the same things we've gone over in the past, but I'm curious what you refer to here -- which software, process? AVI Synth, I'll assume. And I think Yadif had something to do with it --- would have to refer back to notes.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yeah, we've discussed it before. By 'unblender' I'm referring to the AviSynth filters such as RePAL, SRestore, CDeblend, FixBlendIVTC, Restore24, and others that take field and even frame blended sources and unblend them. Most do need a bobber in the process, which is where the bobbing form of Yadif and other similar deinterlacers fits in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, like someone suggested before, I'm using Decomb and under the deinterlace drop down>slower. I'm using these on every encode now with no problems at all. It just takes the process a bit longer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yeah, but if it's just hard telecine (already telecined from a film source), then that's exactly the wrong thing to do. Handbrake's 'Decomb' (a name they shamelessly stole from Donald Graft's AviSynth IVTC by the same name) is a deinterlacer that will keep the same framerate (29.97fps when it should be 23.976fps).

I don't know what kinds of sources you're using it on, but if they're movies or modern TV programs, maybe you can put up a small 10 second sample of a source for us to have a look. One filter definitely doesn't fit all, and you had best learn what you have so you can learn how to treat it properly. When you have hard telecine better would be to use the Detelecine, although it seems to be some mencoder way to IVTC, rather than a better AviSynth solution.
    Quote Quote