VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    New LG LG BD 370 player with v 8 firmware.

Went to the hack link in this site and downloaded the current hack codes.
    Burned them as correct ISO 9660 file with finalizing, onto DVD.

Since I have v 8 firmware figured why not attempt at first, and the dvd with the codes did not cause the region selection screen.

Have to go to older version firmware, says the hack page, via memory stick or CD and neither memory stick nor the dvd I made from downloading the v 7 firmware worked. The BD 370 did not seem to do anything with the file on the memory stick. And did not respond to the DVD once I inserted it.

I 'm not a total novice, but am baffled.

Thoughts anyone?

Simple step by step directions, please as I wish to make sure i get it right.

Most directions are right on, thanks in advance.

Cordially,
    Robert
    HP Pavilion DV 6928notebook, LG 37 H 30,
    LG BD 370 BluRay player
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Manufacturers often change hardware during production and this can break hacks that worked in the past. This may have happened to you. If no one comes up with a hack that works for your hardware then it won't be region free.

Do note that very very few BluRay players can ever be made region free for DVD playback and you need to understand that prior to purchase.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Manufacturers often change hardware during production and this can break hacks that worked in the past. This may have happened to you. If no one comes up with a hack that works for your hardware then it won't be region free.

Do note that very very few BluRay players can ever be made region free for DVD playback and you need to understand that prior to purchase.
    Thanks greatly. My bafflement is only that others seem to have effected the hack for DVD's only, and I realize that BluRay may not or do not work with hacked region codes.

I have many DVD's iI accumulated while I lived in Europe, most are region 1 but some are region 2.

This particular LG player allows me to choose the location of something and in my case I have US selected: Setup> Lock> Area Code> US.

Don't even know what this means yet.

Thanks again for your quick response,
    Robert
    HP Pavilion DV 6928notebook, LG 37 H 30,
    LG BD 370 BluRay player
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rjl24
    Originally Posted by jman98

Thanks greatly. My bafflement is only that others seem to have effected the hack for DVD's only, and I realize that BluRay may not or do not work with hacked region codes.
    My first sentence explains why. I'm not kidding when I tell you that some hacks are obsolete by the time you read about them due to hardware changes. Hollywood puts greater pressure than you can imagine on manufacturers to not make ANY players that can be made region free for ANY disc playback. We get reports all the time of hacks that don't work any more on models that are brand new. In fact, DVD region free playback violates the BluRay licensing agreement (yes, the official industry agreement covers DVD playback) and manufacturers are forbidden from making BluRay players that can made region free even for only DVD playback. That's why few BluRay players can do this. There are a handful of players that can be modified either in hardware or with unofficial firmware updates to do BluRay and DVD region free playback, but all such mods must be done by someone other than the manufacturer and none of these players are made by LG. The hack you found may well have worked on hardware that you can't get where you live or hardware that isn't available anywhere now. I also can't rule out that sometimes our hack postings leave out critical information that you need to make the hack work. I'm just making this up to illustrate a point, but suppose to enter a hack code you have to do 5 - Enter - 4 - Enter - 3 - Enter - 5 - Enter to make it work but the instructions only say to do 5435. Unless you stumble on the trick that you need to press Enter after each number, it will never work for you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. a brand new LG BD370 bought in Northern-Europe, version info from upgrade screen:

Model: BD370-P
    Driver: H51000
    SW: V7.154.02.26

Hacking DVD region (as per BoriMars instructions here) fails:

1. Problem: Refuses to downgrade , upgrading to latest firmware would work (so far have cancelled that...) so I think I'm doing the usb-thing correctly.

2. Problem: The 6000.zip hack does not work (from USB stick at least, have not yet tested with CDR but I'm not really optimistic).

Ideas ? (I wonder what kind of checksumming they have in the ROMs; I guess I'll try changing the version number in the 3.886 ROM with hex editor next, maybe then downgrade is possible...)

ps. It would be nice if there was a correctly formed .iso file of the 6000.zip hack somewhere to simplyfy the CDR approach (I don't think I can set everyting correcly on my mac, need to make the image on linux if I'm going to bother with that...)

Edit: Editing the file did not help but managed to do the downgrade afterall the key was to put the USB stick while device was still in standby, now lets hope the hack works...

edit2: Using USB stick the region hack would not work but I made an ISO image with linux (burned with my Mac) and using it I was able to change the (DVD) region to 0 (tested to work with region 1 DVD), next up is upgrading to latest firmware and seeing if things still work.

edit3: Upgraded FW using USB-stick both region 1 and region 2 DVD work, I'm happy. Also: here is the ISO I made.
    Last edited by mashiara; 2nd May 2010 at 13:21. Reason: success :)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mashiara The link you posted is broken , can you re upload please?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Link works for me (the file is very small only 943 bytes)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrspruance View Post
    Mashiara The link you posted is broken , can you re upload please?
    Well, it depends on which link you tried. The link at the bottom of the post to an ISO image doesn't work. However, the link at the top to the hack has a link to download the software and that works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by mrspruance View Post
    Mashiara The link you posted is broken , can you re upload please?
    Well, it depends on which link you tried.
    Interesting, the ISO link works for me if I'm logged in but otherwise fails. Put it up to drop.io so one does not have to register to get it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. LG BD370 user
    Search Comp PM
    Model: BD-370V (North America)
    Firmware: V.8.16.693A

I am trying to get to the region menu of my BD370, using the advices of this forum. Unfortunateny, I have not been able (yet) to neither use a CD with RMT0000 nor dowgrade rhe firmware with a USB stick. In fact, I have access to USB stick only for photos and music. I have never been able to go to the update menu even I switch on my unit after I have plugged in the USB stick, even I renamed the update file from "LG_BD_370M.ROM" to "LG_BD_370VBB.ROM". My unit accept only the update process through the internet.
    Is there anyone who experienced these issues (and solve them).
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Quote Quote