VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I can slowdown 25>23.976 video that are in Mkv containers, but what can I use for wmv and avi files, anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  2. AviFrate for AVI. Audio will go out of sync.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, anything for wmv?
    Don't know why it produces this error everytime I open it...Won't allow opening a new file.
    Apparently the program must be in a folder w/o any spaces in it (like Program files), then it will work.

Entering 23.976 produces a video of 23.000fps!?

Quote Quote  
  4. AviFrate has a few "issues".

It doesn't like running from a path with spaces in the name. I just put it in the root of drive C.

The AVI header uses two integers to specify the frame rate. A numerator (rate) and a denominator (scale):

fps = rate / scale

Although AviFrate lets you input exact integers into those fields it always recalculates the rate based on the resulting floating point fps -- which is only calculates to 3 digits to the right of the decimal point. So the rate value often doesn't stay where you put it. (The usual 23.976 fps is really 23.9760239760239760... = 24000/1001).

To get 23.976 fps I enter 1001 in the scale field, and 24000 in the rate field. AviFrate then calculates 23.976 as the frame rate and recalculates the rate field, setting it to 23.998 -- the wrong value. But if you go back to the fps field and enter 23.977 it will recalculate the rate field and set it to 24000 -- exactly the value you want. Don't worry about the incorrect value in the fps field, it isn't saved in the AVI file.

I do the same for 29.97 fps. Set the scale to 1001 and the rate to 30000. Then set the fps to 29.971 to restore the rate value exactly 30000.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Very helpful, Thank You!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i use a program called xilisoft video converter ultimate, it does everything from avi/HD avi,HD mpeg,mkv etc. converts just about everything. the audio converter side is a bit hit and miss converting to 5.1.
    you can even change the brightness,contrast or saturation.
    program worth having.
    Quote Quote