VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I have two young daughters I would like them to watch some movies which have few inaporprate scenes for their age. I would like a FREE tool that can allow me to replace these scenes with Blank or to distort those scenes (and sound) without reconverting the scene or incode it again (which VirtualDub should do).

I know somebody would tell me it is better to cut the undesired scenes but the movie has a text SRT subtitles which will lose sync with the movie when I cut the undesired scenes and I will have to do extra job to resync the subtitles with the movies again.

Any chance here.

Thank You
    Hossam
    Quote Quote  
  2. This has been discussed many times here at VH but the best way is to not watch the movie when your children are around.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you were to create a blank, black video with the audio levels turned down, you may be able to cut and paste that back in after you cut out the existing scene. It would be a fair amount of work, though. If you use a tool like VirtualDub, the replacement video and audio would have to be exactly the same video/audio format or VD will reject it. When you cut a scene, you would have to note the exact length and use that size for replacement. I don't know how that will affect subs, but .srt subs run on a timeline, so they should still function properly.

With VD, you would use Direct stream copy to avoid re-encoding.

That method may let you get away without re-encoding the whole file. If you were to use anything to distort/blur or change the existing video, you would have to re-encode. And if you just distort/blur, then you still have the audio to deal with separately. More work.

I have never tried to replace the video/audio with that method, but it should work. Good luck.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use the latest version of virtualdub with Smart Encoding enabled and use the curves editor with an appropriate filter (e.g. wind the brightness down to 0). Only the parts of the video that change will be re-encoded, and you don't have to worry about cutting the video up and re-assembling it. For the audio, demux it with virtualdub, open it in Audacity, select the section you want to get rid of and drop the volume to 0, Save it, then replace the original audio with the new audio track.

Although as a parent of once younger kids, I have learned to wait until they are old enough to watch a program, rather than present them with an edited version. One of the things I hated when growing up was the dreaded "Modified for Television" versions of films. I would not subject them to this indignity. It also teaches them patience and what is appropriate.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 will cut scenes and keep the subtitles in sync after they are cut.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Unfortunately the best programs for stuff like that are not free....in my opinion.
    Quote Quote