VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to convert an old tape that has some bad horizontal jitters. This issue can only be corrected by playing back the tape on my JVC SVHS with the stabilizer "on". I am also utilizing a DataVideo TBC between the VCR and the capture card.

Is this a bad idea?

I ask because the JVC has a TBC feature, but it can not be used in conjunction with the stabilizer.

Is this simply an issue with JVC decks not being able to use both features at once, or is there some real world reason I wouldn't want to use both simultaneously?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Using the JVC stabilizer feature along with the DataVideo external TBC is fine as long as it doesn't introduce any noticeable problem. Does the digitized video play OK to your eye, with no added artifacts or unwanted jitter? Then this setup is OK to transfer these tapes.

JVCs have historically had the stabilizer feature decoupled from the TBC feature: not sure exactly why but most likely its a limitation of the consumer-grade circuitry they employ. One has to remember, when most of these VCRs were originally sold at $400-800, external TBCs were selling for $2000-5000. There is only so much that could be done at the time with circuits that would be affordable in a consumer VCR. It seems the circuit could not process both enhancements simultaneously, so you have to choose one or the other. Even if it could do both at the same time, it might not be desirable: noise reduction and jitter reduction can conflict with the VCR line TBC function to give visibly worse results. The external DataVideo TBC processes the video in a different way, restoring "invisible" portions of the signal to bring the video up to spec. The TBC built into the VCR targets the VCRs own internal drifts to improve the image visibly, which can conflict with other visible enhancements. You have to experiment with the more problematic tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advice.

I have not noticed any visual problems with this particular video while using the in-line TBC and the onboard stabilizer.

That being said, I have seen one problem with other tapes - if the VHS has severe flagging or tearing at the top of the screen. Enabling the stabilizer will usually correct it, but running that signal through the TBC will cause some slight jerky effects that are particularly noticeable in scenes with a lot of fast movement (such as sports). The video just doesn't look as smooth. I guess it really depends on the tape though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For tapes like those, you may need an ES10 or another VCR.
    See http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/showthread.php/vhs-tearing-hardware-1588.html

That covers some info on tearing of VHS.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The es10 doesnt correct the tearing issue. You have to turn off the tbc/dnr.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the ES10 most certainly does correct tearing -- I've been doing it for 4+ years now. The TBC does need to be disabled on the JVC when doing this, however.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yup, I've had the same experience with flagging and the ES-10 is often the only thing that works, but as Lordsmurf said you can't normally use the JVC TBC at the same time.

I think a lot of confusion over flagging errors results from the fact that there are two situations where they can occur --

#1) some tapes have flagging errors no matter what VCR you try it on and in this case, the ES-10 is the only thing that seems to fix it (as usually turning on the TBC on a JVC VCR for a tape like this will give you weird motion issues like the ones you are having.)

#2) The flagging error is CAUSED by the JVC TBC, often on tapes that otherwise have no flagging/tearing issues. I have a couple of tapes with this issue. In this case you have to turn off the TBC and use an external TBC or the stabalizer as needed (ES-10 will do nothing for your here in regards to the tearing/flagging, as it's simply a result of an embedded error created by the JVC TBC).

I've never had problems with using the DataVideo and the ES-10 in conjunction though.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by robjv1
    ES-10 will do nothing for your here in regards to the tearing/flagging
    Exactly.
    But it will help to fix some slight jitter you got going on with some tapes with the tbc/dnr turned on.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yeah, it certainly pays to experiment. The ES-10 does wonders for tearing and can do a good job for certain types of jitter too. Motion errors drive me absolutely insane and I find that the stabilizer in JVC decks often exacerbates them.
    Quote Quote