VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have avi, mkv files with video and 2 audio. Is there a software to demux these files into elementary streams?
    I want to reverse the order of the audio streams, is there a software to remux back? Thanks to all responses
    Quote Quote  
  2. https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-de-multiplexers

about half way down the page are a couple mkv tools
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A couple of weeks ago, I already tried mkvextractgui, mkvewizzard and mkvtoolnix, downloaded them into the same folder as instructed. when I ran it, it kept saying there was no exe file. I checked the folder and could find any exe file. Finaly I had to drop it.
    Is there any other progam?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    use mkvmerge included in mkvtoolnix.

for avi files, virtualdubmod.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already tried VDDUBMOD. It did not even take my mkv files (containing H264). don't know why.
    avidemux ran smoothly. But it only take 1 video and 1 audio from the source. the 2nd audio has to be external. this is not really what I want. Does anybody know any other tools to demux avi, mkv files to elementary video and audio streams.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vdubmod is for AVI files!

mkvmerge is for mkv files!

i thought i just said that..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks T-finh. I got your message. I did try it.
    What I want to do is to break the mkv files down to elementary streams: 1 video and 2 audio, and then remux them to avi file and manually change the order of the audio streams.

Mkvmerge gives me back mkvfile which I do not want. Avidemux only allows 1 audio from the source, the 2nd audio has to be external. In all, I still haven't got my project done yet.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vddubmod does not even take my mkv files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do NOT use VirtualDubMod to handle MKVs. VirtualDubMod's support for MKVs is quite dated, and it is unable to parse h.264 video in a MKV at all.

MKVExtract/MKVExtractGUI is definitely what you need to use. What steps did you use when you downloaded the packages for MKVExtractGUI and mkvtoolnix? Did you run the installers and point them at the same folder, or just place the packages in the same folder?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi AL, I just put them in the same folder. What do you mean by "point at the folder"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mkvtoolnix is packaged in an installer (latest should be mkvtoolnix-unicode-2.9.8-setup.exe). Double-click on it to run it, and give it a folder to install to (what I meant by 'point it at a folder'), such as C:\MKV (or whatever you want to name it. You can also choose an existing folder, but it's better to give mkvtoolnix and MKVExtractGUI a folder of their own), then let the installer install mkvtoolnix to that folder.

MKVExtractGUI is in a .ZIP archive (latest is MKVExtractGUI-1.6.4.1Wizard-1.2.zip), so extract everything from that .ZIP. There should be two folders. Place all the files from the 'MKVExtractGUI-1.6.4.1' folder:
    Formats.txt
    MKVextGUI.cfg
    MKVextractGUI.exe
    mkxuncat.exe

...in the same folder where you installed mkvtoolnix.

Then, just use MKVextractGUI.exe to demux the MKVs. You can create a shortcut to MKVextractGUI.exe on your desktop or in your Start menu, if you want.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Al, Thank you very much, I finally fei it working. I have another problem if you can help. it will be great.
    It can not read some mkv files due to incorrect file name, directory name, volume lable syntax. Is there a way to fix these files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do any of the filenames of the 'problem' videos contain characters other than 0-9, a-z, A-Z, [ ] ( ) ! -, a period, underscore or space? This includes non-English language characters.

Also, do any of the folder names along the path to the file, or the hard drive (name) on which the files are stored have those characters?
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tsmuxer will demux the mkv into elementary streams.Mkvmerge GUI from mkvtoolnix will remux them back together.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1/I will check, hopefully I can. I think it is very likely that they contain foreign languages. But how can I fix these files?
    2/I already looked at tmuxer once before, I remember that it only does muxing. I will try it again.
    Thanks for your responses
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can rename the 'problem' filenames, folder names, or volume names, temporarily. But a safer method would be to create a work folder at the base of a hard drive (one that doesn't have a name with one of the 'problem' characters), such as C:\Work, then copy the videos you want to work with to that folder (and renaming those if necessary).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I changed the language, and both mkvextract and tsmuxer could demux mkv files.
    My next step is to convert h264 to xvid, and mux it with 2 audio tracks (maually set audio1,audio2). I am thinking about using handbrake. Do you have any suggesiron? Thankyou again.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I have downloaded avidemux and am trying to remove a foreign language from an avi file but I don't see where the English option is, please help

I don't know which of these options to choose under AUDIO OUTPUT:
    Copy
    AAC(Faac)
    AAC(lav)
    AC3(Aften)
    AC3(lav)
    MP2(twolame)
    MP2(lav)
    MP3(lame)
    PCM
    Vorbis
    Last edited by jerryM; 4th Oct 2013 at 05:08.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Under Audio in the menu choose Select track, select the track you want to keep. You might have to test which track if no language info is avaiable.

Under video and audio choose copy. Last save as a new avi.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thank you Baldrick, I will try that.
    Quote Quote