VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been looking for a single software package that does everything.

I want to take my DV Tapes and convert them to DVD. I want to be able to edit Video, Create custom DVD Menus (my own still image or short clip background with either textual or button type menu items), and then rip the completed project to DVD.

Is there anything out there? I have tried to do this using individual packages of software but I haven't found anything yet that has been easy enough to use or else I would have done this by now. I'm getting really frustrated with the amount of technical know how I shouldn't need to bother with, but without it, I am stuck with something that will never work.

Please help if you dare.

1RealNewbie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on how much editing you need to do, vs how complex you want your menus to be. It also depends on how much you think you will grow in the future. As a general rule, anything that says it does it all, and does it simply, does very little and doesn't do it very well (e.g. Nero)

If you just want simple, try something like Ulead (or is it Corel ?) Movie Factory. Capture, basic editing, OK authoring for beginners.

If, however, you think you will want more in time, then you really do need to learn at least two packages. First, you use an editor for editing. There are plenty of these, from Premiere Elements or Vegas Movie Studio, up to the bigger boys of Premiere CS4, Vegas Pro 9, Liquid etc.

Then you use an authoring tool for creating your DVD. Premiere pairs with Encore, Vegas pairs with DVD Architect. Or you can use an unrelated product such as Ulead DVD Workshop 2, DVD Lab Pro, or even the freeware DVD Styler.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 will do what you need and and is easy to use.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guns1inger, I don't need to do more than really basic editing (for now) like cut, splice etc... My first few videos I was just learning to use the camera, so the scenes aren't as clean as they could have been. I'm really trying to avoid wasting a lot of time spinning my wheels learning how to use the software and still get menus that look just like I want them to.

1RealNewbie
    Quote Quote