VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to crop out about half of a recorded scene in the mov file from my Canon T1i. I mean crop as in cut part of the whole scene from the video, not edit as in make the vid shorter in length. I tried virtualdub but it wont open the mov files. Any help here? I'd like lossless conversion or cropping if possible.
    Quote Quote  
  2. try installing the x264 codec. the mov contains h264 video with pcm audio. but, there is no way to crop losslessly. it needs to be re-encoded to crop no matter what you use to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am new at this, what exactly do you mean?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or shall I say, how do I use the codec with virtualdub?
    Quote Quote  
  5. sorry, to use virtualdub with those files you'd most likely need to run them through DGAVCDec first as vd doesn't do mpeg or avchd. what you'll end up doing is frameserving them to vd.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are there any high quality mov editors where it doesnt have to be converted?

I realize the size will go down with a crop but will the quality of the remaining video go down? It's 1080p and wayyyy too large to view at 100% on my 1280x800 laptop. Basically I do want to view the video on a laptop but only need the faces, where as now I have whole people in the frame.
    Quote Quote  
  7. possibly. do you have a small ~ 50mb sample you can post to a file sharing site?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ocsnake
    Are there any high quality mov editors where it doesnt have to be converted?

I realize the size will go down with a crop but will the quality of the remaining video go down? It's 1080p and wayyyy too large to view at 100% on my 1280x800 laptop. Basically I do want to view the video on a laptop but only need the faces, where as now I have whole people in the frame.
    You can import them into premiere and vegas if you have Quicktime installed.

If you crop, you have to re-encode

If you crop = quality loss (because resolution is part of "quality")

If you re-encode using a lossy format = quality loss, but you can minimize it by using higher bitrates

If you re-encode using a lossless format = huge filesize, several times bigger than the original

Vdub should open it with the directshow plugin (but only if you have your directshow splitter/decoders set up properly), or will work for sure if use an avisynth script to open it in vdub
    Quote Quote  
  9. pdr - vdub won't open any 264/avchd in a mov wrapper here, what settings do you need to change to get it to import?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    pdr - vdub won't open any 264/avchd in a mov wrapper here, what settings do you need to change to get it to import?
    Canon T1i is h.264 and sowt pcm audio. So if you are using directshow plugin you need a proper splitter and decoder set up

Otherwise, you can use the QT vdub plugin too if you have QT installed. (quicktime.vdplugin). Highlight the file first as if you were going to open it directly, then you have to "activate it" by selecting from the drop down menu. That works for me on most .mov files including this T1i

Some people have their quicktime ini file configured differently, if you do, then you would checkmark the "ask for extended options" dialog box, and under video decoder mode, select "movies task"

And of course avs script will open it too

Did you still want to test a sample from the T1i?
    Quote Quote  
  11. a sample would be great, as i still can't get any 264/avc mov i have to open. i have the vdub plugins and the qt ini set for 264/avc but nothing but a black screen. not even an avs script using a dga works.
    Quote Quote  
  12. What? That is weird. How about "normal" h264/aac/mov like apple movie trailers?

You tried directshow vdub plugin, qt vddub plugin, dgavcindex with avs script, what about directshowsource() or QTInput() or ffmpegsource2() ?

They all work for me here vdub 1.9.5. The only ones that required a bit of filter managing were directshowsource() and the directshow plugin, all the others work as is.

Try changing the video decoder mode (mine is set at -1 auto) in the extended options dialog

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jucmvwmjwjw
    Quote Quote  
  13. i tried the decoder mode -1 and then tried 3, neither gave anything but a black screen. same after running thriugh dgavcindex. vdub 1.9.6., but i tried other versions also. qt pro updated to the latest version.

cut.mov loads to the same black screen, is it a canon t1i file? the others i tried were a casio ex1, apple hdv, apollo restored footage. i can play them all fine in vlc or qt and they work in vegas.......

Quote Quote  
  14. Indeed it is from a T1i , the original thread is here, but the link download expired, so I cut a piece from it to re-upload
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic372128.html

Are you saying you can't play that sample in QT even? Because that is what vdub qt plugin is using to open it

They all work for me here on the original sample and the cut.mov clip. All the scripts in avsp (dgavcindex, directshowsource, ffmpegsource2), all the plugin methods in vdub... I think something might be up with your system ? Did you index the raw avc file with dgavcindex?

I read some people had some problems with QT after updating to the latest, but I wasnt affected. Apparently they rolled back a few versions and it worked ok. But that shouldn't affect dgavcindex or ffmpegsource2 - they work independently of QT installations. I recommend ffmpegsource2 over dgavcindex because you can get audio from it, dgavcindex will not recognize and demultiplex the twos audio.

This is opening directly with QT Vdub plugin

Quote Quote  
  15. weird. it plays fine in qt and vlc. it imports and works in vegas. just nothing can get vdub to use them here.

Quote Quote  
  16. Did you try decoder mode 2, decomp sequence?
    Quote Quote  
  17. no - the readme said it wasn't for h264/avc unless mode 4 worked. but i'll give it a go now.

umm, no change still black screen.

gotta reboot to get ffmpegsource2 to load the dll, just installed it. bbl.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Modes 0, 1, 2 and 3 work for me with your video. Auto and 4 don't. Note, x264 only includes and encoder, no decoder. I use ffdshow and CoreAVC Pro for h.264 decoding.
    Quote Quote  
  19. none of the modes works here. i have ffdshow, qt pro and core avc pro.

ffmpegsource2 does work and loads the mov into vdub successfully.

and i can directly open other mp4/avc video with vdub, just not anything in a mov container.
    Quote Quote  
  20. The only other major difference then is that I have qt alternative rather than qt pro. I just hate apple software under windows.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jagabo
    The only other major difference then is that I have qt alternative rather than qt pro. I just hate apple software under windows.
    yeah it's pretty sad, apple qt pro doesn't play HD mov video nearly as well as vlc which i set as the default mov player.
    Quote Quote  
  22. QTPlayer is a very sad player. It doesn't play videos very well with multiple b-frames , AVC high

BTW I'm using QTPro as well...and it works in vdub. So something is probably screwed up with your configuration
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you explain to me the crop process in vegas or premiere? And after I do that how do I re-encode it to the highest quality video. Thanks for the help guys!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by ocsnake
    Can you explain to me the crop process in vegas or premiere? And after I do that how do I re-encode it to the highest quality video. Thanks for the help guys!
    what's the final export format? do you want to crop(remove portions of the video) or do you want to resize(keep all video and aspect ratio the same), or possibly both crop and resize?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My laptop is a studio 1535 with 1280x800 resolution. The video was shot at 1080p and much bigger than the laptops screen. The video I shot was at a distance, and I didn't have a big telephoto lens with me. I figure I can crop in a little tighter on the faces without losing quality, since the laptops screen is much smaller than the 1080p video. Pretty much I'd like to crop the video the same as people crop down super high megapixel images from a camera to add some zoom factor. I dont care about the format too much, avi or mov is fine by me. Am I making any sense?
    Quote Quote  
  26. the pan and crop tool is visible in every clip on the timeline. mouse over the icons and it's name will pop up. a vertical size of 720 would work well as that would result in you being able to render to 1280x720p for your laptop.

lots of pan/crop help if you google it.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And then it needs to be re-encoded? How is this accomplished once cropping is done?
    Quote Quote  
  28. vegas? the normal way. click file/render as. then pick what format and template you want to use or make your own.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a higher quality way of re-encoding? I used the render as methos and picked avi with uncompressed option and the motion is pixelated. Is there a way to keep motion smooth as the original was?
    Quote Quote  
  30. a screenshot of the settings you used in vegas might help. also what is the the output to be used for?
    Quote Quote