VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Philips portable DVD player model PET7402. THe unit was purchased in the USA. Advertising claims it plays PAL and NTSC discs out of the box - not true so far I've had no luck in getting a code or prosess to change the region code - there is no remote with this player - HELP!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1) Portables are virtually impossible to hack.
    2) Region Codes and PAL/NTSC have nothing to do with each other.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    hech54 is quite right. To put it another way, yes, I am absolutely sure that your DVD player does indeed play PAL and NTSC discs. But here's the catch and it's a gigantic one - it ONLY plays region 0 and region 1 discs and there's probably no way to make it region free. So that means that unless you are one of the (my best guess) 5% of posters with a similar question who gets lucky and has someone provide a working code, you will have to rip and reburn EVERY PAL DVD that you wish to play in the unit. Ripping removes region coding.

It's getting almost impossible in the USA and Canada to find any DVD players that can be made region free these days and portables almost never could be made region free even back in the days when it was common to find codes for many DVD players. Hollywood has convinced almost everybody to stop making DVD players that can be made region free. A few years ago it was almost impossible to find any players made by Philips that could not be made region free, but now every week or two we get a post from someone desperately looking for an unlock code for a Philips player and usually there isn't one.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi Guys, hack for Philips PET 7402 posted in many places doesn't work!...Too bad. Certainly quite close but not enough.
    Something's missing between described stages 2 and 3: if pressing NEXT>, PREVIOUS<, NEXT>, PREVIOUS<, NEXT>, NEXT>, PREVIOUS< after Preferences you just go nowhere... Does someone knows more on that? Thanks to share with others.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome gil6009. You can always ask and maybe you'll get lucky, but the odds are not good.

1) Sometimes we do get incorrect hacks posted that are missing steps. It has happened. You just have to hope that someone will respond with the missing info.
    2) My advice from a year ago still stands. Portables are ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to make region free now. It's possible that the hack is indeed completely correct as written but that is just doesn't work any more for your player because your player has different hardware from the ones that the hacks worked on. Some manufacturers use different hardware on the same model in different parts of the world or they may change during production because one supplier ran out of parts or they got a cheaper price on a similar but different component.
    3) In a very few rare cases, sometimes firmware updates break hacks and you can make them work by downgrading to a lower firmware. This is rarely the case, but you might investigate the possibility. A forum dedicated to Philips DVD players might have such information. Firmware changes always carry some risk of bricking the unit, so be sure you want it region free bad enough to take the risk. Any firmware update or downgrade you apply, you apply at your own risk with the understanding that it could make the player unusable and I am not responsible in any way for what happens, nor do I in any way encourage you to try changing the firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just a note that I just got the posted hack (https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/philips-pet7402/10535) to work on my unit.
    However, it took me a while to work out that the NEXT & PREVIOUS buttons quoted are not the ones on the front of the machine used for navigation through the preferences menu, but rather the NEXT CHAPTER & PREVIOUS CHAPTER skip buttons on the top of the unit (next to the SET UP button).
    Give it another try.
    Quote Quote