VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'd like to export a time-lapse movie I created in iStopMotion Pro (I started from very high quality JPG's, shot with a Nikon D700), so I can edit it in iMovie 09. Apparantly, iMovie does not import .mov files, so I tried "DV-PAL 16-9". Now, I don't know where exactly things change, but the end-result looks bad compared to the original movie I created in iStopMotion.

While I'm working in iMovie, the quality I see there, is already low, but maybe this is normal while working as you only see some kind of low quality preview? I'm not sure about this... But, in the end, when I save the iMovie result as HD 1280x720 (using the highest quality preset with 'Export Movie'), it doesn't improve. The quality remains low. To be more precise: the movie is less sharp and straight lines get this ugly jagged look.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,
    Kris
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the original resolution?

Have you changed iMovie's prefs to retain the source image quality? It's set not to do that by default.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    iMovie is set to : "Import HD movies at: FULL - original size", is that what you mean?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kvdv
    iMovie is set to : "Import HD movies at: FULL - original size", is that what you mean?
    Yes. What about the original resolution of the photos? One of the things I remember from the older version of iMovie was that, for the best results, your stills should be the same resolution (coming in) as the final video (going out).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...so did you shoot 1280x720 or higher than that? If higher, you'll probably need to reduce the res of the pictures in Photoshop (for the best results) and then bring them into iMovie.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I started with hi-res jpg images, having a resolution of 1800x1200, enough to have a HD movie in the end. In iSM, the quality is excellent and in the 'Documents Settings' it says: Pixel Aspect Ration: HD(1:1).

Today, I did a second test: in photoshop I changed the ratio to 1290x1080, to have an exact 16:9 match. I imported in iSM and again, it look crispy and sharp. But after exporting to whatever format, f.e. DV PAL 16:9, and then importing it into iMovie, again, the quality was very bad. Whenever I import into iMovie 09, I lose a great amount of quality. See attachment. (The export form iSM lookes great, when played).

Thanks for the help,
    Kris

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I shoot much higher than 1280x720, but in post editing I resize and crop, so in the end I have a very sharp high quality 1920x1080 image, which I import in iStopMotion, it stays sharp even after export to DV. But when I import this DV 16:9 into iMovie, I loose all quality (see screenshots.).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see the jaggies; that's interlacing. De-interlace it either during the export from ISM or when you export from iMovie. I'm not sure which method will provide the best results.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's not only the jaggies, but also a great deal of loss of sharpness.

I tried de-interlacing but I couldn't find out how. I tried using "Export using Quicktime" in iMovie, and then choose .MOV: in this case I have many, many possible parameters, but de-interlace is not among them, I think?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another thing: after I import the DV into iMovie, it already looks very bad (jaggies and blur), even before I do an export in iMovie. Is this always the case? Like you work on some sort of low-quality preview before the final export?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, I'll recommend you decide what resolution you want to use for your movie and either shoot at, or resize to, that resolution before you bring it into ISM. The resolutions must match or you're asking ISM to guess what you want to do with the mismatched image size and who knows what will happen?

Secondly, if you're exporting as DV, you're probably sending it out as 720x480 so everything you've done up to this point is wasted. By default, DV is interlaced. Use a lossless full-resolution codec like AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec).

At that point you might have a chance with iMovie.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    - I tried this already: I resized and cropped a few images in Photoshop and imported those crispy sharp images in iSM. Then I exported as DV 16:9 again, which looked excellent... until I imported in iMovie: then it looked unsharp and jagged again.

- How can I export as AIC? It's not in my list when I do an export from iSM?

- Last but not least, I tried importing the DV file into Adobe Premiere Pro, and I had the same bad result as with iMovie: unsharp and jagged after the initial import already! (Just to be sure, I also did an export to different movie formats, but nothing helped).

I just can figure out how to remain the high quality of the original DV file I created in iStopMotion!

-Kris
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you upload a few seconds worth of the 16:9 DV file so we can take a look?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Done.

I started all over again:
    - created a new movie in iStopMotion 2 Pro (ratio/dimensions being equal to my photos)
    - all looks very sharp and no jaggies
    - I then export to a DV 16:9 in iSM
    - When I play the DV with any video player (f.e. Quicktime), the quality is fantastic, no sign of loss of quality
    - When I import the DV file into iMovie 09, in the Event Library, the movies looks blurry and jagged
    - When I drag the event to my new iMovie project, the quality remains low (blurry and jagged)
    - When I export in iMovie: the end-result is still blurry and jagged

I uploaded a short DV movie which I created with iStopMotion 2 Pro using 48 of my hi-res photos. This is the file which looks great when playing, but very bad after importing into iMovie 09 (or even Adobe Premiere Pro).

Thanks for all the help,
    Kris

small_ism_test%20export.dv.zip
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your video is 720x576 pixels. Whatever hi-res you had was lost when you exported as DV. I do not own ISM so I can't guide you on how to export so you don't lose any quality. DV is standard definition. You do NOT want to use DV. Try Apple Lossless Codec or something that preserves the resolution of your original work.

This has nothing to do with iMovie.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay; I managed to do a quick check of what ISM is capable of creating and exporting. I think if you create HDV (which, if I remember correctly, is 1280x720) and then export using the Apple Lossless Codec (it buried in the "Settings" in the export dialog) you should end up with no loss of quality.

Whichever size you use for your ISM file, use ther Apple Lossless setting to keep the full quality of your ISM project when you bring it into iMovie.

Let us know what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes! Yessss!!!!... It worked!

rumplestiltskin, many thanks for pulling me through this!
    I created a HDV720p in iSM, then I exported as a .MOV with 'Apple Intermediate Codec' at HDV720p preset. I imported in iMovie, and this time, everything looks absolutely great, without loss of quality.
    I think it would have taken me ages, if you wouldn't have helped me.

Many thanks, much appreciated!!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are quite welcome! I'm very happy I was able to assist you in resolving the problem.

Now you have to do the same for someone else.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm publishing the movie today. I'm sure I will receive questions about it and I'll be glad to share my newly acquired knowledge.
    Quote Quote