VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys:

This is my 1st post here, so hello to everyone!!! This looks like a really cool place to hang out. I love all of the video conversion stuff. I have some knowledge about the topic, but, I want some more. I am trying to find a way to take my .mkv file and do whatever conversions I have to, to be able to burn the finished product to a blu-ray disk. I am not looking for a quick and dirty way of doing it. I would rather take the time and effort and work through some good quality programs so I can get a nice finished disk. I own a standalone blu-ray player, so any topics that I am looking for do not include the PSP or Gameboxes or whatever you call them, unless the to will play on a stand-alone player. I bought like 10 blu-ray blank disks and I want to give it a shot! But I don't want to just waste them. (If I screw up during the process, that's why I bought 10)

I took a look at some of your How-to links and I saw a few that were close to what I'm looking for, but, mostly it seemed they were for the game boxes.

Right Now... at this actual moment in time:

I am currently running, "Xvid4PSP" to try to get blu-ray output that I can burn, but I think it's not going to work because it says, "It has 1day and 7 hours and 51 minute to finish!!!" I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous!!! Is that actually possible? I don't know. I'd rather burn up my cpu on something else, because it's running right around the highest %. Maybe it will work, but, I had really nominal instructions on how to set up the program for the encoding. On Sunday, I'll let you know how I made out with this. I think its already a gonner

I am looking for info that can tell me, basically, this is the way to do it!!!(mkv to bluray disk) Please send me to a link that actually can get it done for a STANDALONE player. Please pm me for an instant messenger or direct e-mail. Or whatever floats your boat!!!

I now have 1 day and 4 hours left before Xvid-4PSP finishes

Thanks everyone,

jwmghf
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What are your PC specifications? We have a space for that in 'Computer Information' in 'Profile'. If you have a old, slow computer, a day or so wouldn't be surprising. When I convert a 30GB Blu-ray to a 9.5GB MKV, it takes over six hours, even with a quad core 3.3Ghz processor. (But it looks great. )

But others may give you some better info.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Start by putting your computer specs into your profile so we can see what you are working with, but the short answer is yes, high quality 1080p BD rendering could well take that long on an average core2 machine.

Next, post a media info of the file in question, and the settings you have used in Xvid4PSP.

I have been using Multi-AVCHD to convert 720p MKV files to AVCHD format for PS3 playback, however is also happily does BluRay proper output as well. It has a built-in uncrop/trancode tool for restore resolutions to something compliant, multiple quality levels, and some rudimentary but effective menus if you want them. It also graps subtitles form mkv files and includes those in the finished disc as either hard or soft subs (your choice).

So far I have been pretty happy with what it can do, although for single titles I skip the menu creation as that side of it can be a bit hit and miss.

I do most of the converting on a quad core(E6600) with three dedicated cores (I leave one core dedicated to folding@home around the clock), and for a typical 100 minute 720p mkv file it takes a little over real-time for the analysis pass (usually around the running time of the movie + 20%), and anything up to 10 hours for the encoding pass. This is using the 2-pass VHQ setting. I would expect a 1080p full BD file to take easily twice that on the same machine.

Like it or not, when it comes to encoding you have a simple choice. All else being equal, you can have high quality and wear whatever time that requires, or you can have it fast, and suffer whatever mediocre quality you get. But you cannot have both.

If you are using a good quality encoder and reasonable settings then all you have left to influence the time it takes is to spend money on hardware. A top of the line i7 CPU will buy you quite a bit of speed. You have to determine if it is worth the cost.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    I have been using multiAVCHD... It [creates] some rudimentary but effective menus if you want them.
    Yep, rudimentary yet no other tool gets even close to creating a menu. Still I also would like to see audio background music and animated menus in multiAVCHD, but it will happen when I have some more time to work in this direction.

Dean
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Guys:

<-----By the way... that's not me. But I like it!!!

Thanks for the welcome. It's good to be here. I have no idea what size file it's producing. I'm sure its gonna be large though. I added my computer specs. I know that helps a lot. I have done that on other sites as well. It's good to hear that its normal that it would take that long. It makes sense because I'm running a P4 3.4ghz Extreme chip with 4gb's of memory. I will pull the trigger on a new system soon. I am trying to hold out til next summer because that's when they are going to release the usb3 stuff. Here is my media file:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

General
    Complete name : G:\DvdLand\Internet Files\Movies\The xxxxxxx\xxxxxxx.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    File size : 4.37 GiB
    Duration : 1h 47mn
    Overall bit rate : 5 806 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2009-09-24 07:32:49
    Writing application : mkvmerge v2.9.5 ('Tu es le seul') built on Jun 17 2009 16:28:30
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.8 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate : 4 181 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 4 295 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 528 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.258
    Stream size : 3.14 GiB (72%)
    Writing library : x264 core 75 r1259 dd026f2
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4295 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : DTS
    Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
    Codec ID : A_DTS
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Stream size : 1.14 GiB (26%)
    Language : English

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only settings I changed in Xvid4psp is the "Format" type to BluRay. Under Video Encoding, it automatically selected "x264 Q21 Ultra" and it also automatically selected "AC3 384k" for Audio Encoding. "Denoise/Sharpen" and "Brightness/Contrast" are disabled. And hit Encode. That's it. Are there any other things I should have changed? I really had no idea how to use the proggy....

You made mention of Multi-AVCHD. Multiavchd, did you write this prgram? If so, that's really cool. I'll give it a try next. I am looking for a program that will give the proper output for a standalone dvd player. Is it a fairly straight forward program to use? Also, can it do 1080P?

By the way... only 9 hrs 57 mins and 49 secs to go!!! I feel like Rumplestilskin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Multi-AVCHD would have preserved your audio instead of re-encoding it to a lower quality.

For standard DVD player output you could try ConvertXtoDVD or AVStoDVD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My bad, I meant BluRay player not Dvd player.

Well it finally finished and it has an error. It said it could find the Xvid4PSP folder in the main folder I had the video files in??? I guess I'll try multiAVCHD!!! What a bummer.
    Quote Quote