VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm currently transferring a VHS tape to an .avi file on my computer, the only problem is that VirtualDub is interlacing it. I would like to de-interlace it so it looks like the original VHS tape. I found a program called "TMPGEnc DVD Source Creator" which de-interlaces and reduces noise levels perfectly for me. I only have one problem, it outputs the file in video sizes I don't want to use. (352X240, 352X480, 480X480, 720X480) I want to keep it at 640X480. Anyone have any suggestions as to a comparable de-interlacer and noise reducer like TMPGEnc DVD Source Creator? Thanks a lot in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have a look for avisynth & tomsmocomp, yadif or else to deinterlace

best way to learn is here
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Deinterlace Area-Based" in VirtualDub works pretty well.
    Several more options in AVI Synth.
    None of these advanced filters are really "better" than others, just different.

All are better than simple methods, like drop-frame or blend.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MasterOfPuppets: Please change your signature image, smaller and no animation. https://forum.videohelp.com/topic124514.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. The best deinterlacer currently is AviSynth's TempGaussMC_beta1(). Samples:

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1934885/stockholma_0-520_q3_yadif_mvbobmod_t...mca4_tdtmm.avi

It's also the slowest. About 1/50 the speed of the lesser algorithms.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This video hasn't only been deinterlaced.
    The lamppost looks like disappears in the water.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by 1junpei
    This video hasn't only been deinterlaced.
    The lamppost looks like disappears in the water.
    Yes, you've found one little detail where TempGaussMC did worse than the others. TempGaussMC also smooths out some of the noise (which I consider a bad thing) and that has caused the thin portion of the post to blend into the water in the background. But the others look much worse overall with flickering jagged edges all over the place. Note especially the stairs near the bottom of the frame in the second half of the video. No deinterlacing method is perfect and none ever will be.
    Quote Quote