VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm selecting "view: 16:9 letterboxed" in DVD studio pro when i encode...

it plays 16:9 on my computer just fine, but on a 4:3 TV it's still scrunched.

any suggestions?

thanks, guys--
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Set up your DVD player properly ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm not familiar with that authoring program, but I don't think you want to select "leterboxed". For true anamorphic 16:9 material, I always authored as just ordinary 16:9 and they played correctly on both widescreen and 4:3 TV sets.

I think what you have done is manually add physical letterboxing bars, which is causing the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Nelson37
    I think what you have done is manually add physical letterboxing bars, which is causing the problem.
    Yeah, but he says it plays OK on the computer. I'm with guns1inger that he probably hasn't set up the player correctly. He should make sure the player is set up to output for the set he has and not the type of video he has - 4:3 if for a 'standard' 4:3 set.

If that's not it, a small sample would be good. Perhaps the computer software player is set up incorrectly and you're right after all.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guys--
    i'm using an old DVD player-- it doesn't seem to have these setup capabilities. it's probably 10 years old at least.
    we are cutting edge here at work, i tell ya.

could that be the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  6. No, I don't think that would be the problem. If it really doesn't have a choice in the setup or menu screen between 4:3 and 16:9, or regular and widescreen, or somesuch, then it would be for a 4:3 TV set only (which is what you have). I find it hard to believe, though, that it doesn't have such a choice.

How does it play on someone else's player and TV set?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even my first DVD player (A Pioneer 414 from around 10 years ago) had this function. It will be in the menu, usually under the video setting. I have set up a lot of DVD players for friends and family over the years (literally hundreds - different brands and models), and I have never seen a player that did not have this function
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote