VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am sure this has probably been asked before, but some of the info out there on the internet is getting quite dated...

Could I get some opinions on what are the best quality VCRs available and why? I am specifically looking for information that is current (i.e. the models you discuss are available on the market today).

Also, any information on how I as a buyer can discern a good VCR from a bad one would be much appreciated.

I am willing to pay for professional gear if I have to.

I have a small video conversion business and want to make sure I am getting the very best VHS and SVHS playback signal I can get.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are no decent VCRs available today. You will be buying a used S-VHS deck via ebay. Here is one thread from a few years ago: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic291582.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nothing available new, not even from the pro divisions of Panasonic or Sony: the industrial and pro market went digital long ago. Check the threads recommended by LordSmurf and jagabo, you have to use your judgement and balance your budget against your needs and what you can find. Long story short, someone operating a professional conversion service needs a minimum of two advanced VCRs: the one-off Panasonic AG1980, whose exact circuits were never put in any other VCR, plus one of the many JVC-based VCRs with DigiPure TBC and DNR, such as the JVC 9911 svhs, the JVC SR-VD400 DVHS, or Mitsubishi HS-HD2000 DVHS.

The Panasonic AG1980 has TBC/DNR similar to the JVC variations, but the mechanics and electronics are different enough that most of us find we need both types of machine to cover all the bases. Tapes that are unplayable or poor on the JVC will often be improved by the Panasonic, and vice versa. Unfortunately none of these VCRs are available new anymore, you're stuck going the eBay/Craigs List route.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks, orsetto.
    Quote Quote