VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

Im looking to buy a DVD/VCR recorder from KMart. Its a Magnavox ZV427MG9.

Has anyone used this product? I read some reviews online and most of them were good.

I want to use this product to record tv shows both on vhs and recordable dvds, but my problem is that the cable company uses a coaxial cable to connect to my tv and there isnt a rf output on the dvd recorder. Can anyone tell me what else Id have to buy to get the setup to work?

Tks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DVD recorders don't output through the RF anyway. You need to use the line outputs. If the TV doesn't have line inputs, you need an RF modulator. You'll need a cable box too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked out a RF modulator and ill be getting one, but what would I use the cable box for?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't buy Magnavox/Phillips (Period). If the DVD Recorder is anything like their TVs, You will be buying another DVD Recorder in a year. You've been warned.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most reviewers that leave reviews on DVD recorders are misguided. They don't know much, and they are too accepting of poor quality image/audio, but overly critical of non-important aspects.

For example,
    I don't pick a car based on tire pressure -- I test how it drives.
    The 0-60 test is also stupid, who does that in real life?

Magazines and sites reviewing often have the problem. Or worse, they're trying to be too nice when the product is utter crap.

For an honest look at recorders, read this:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-recorders.htm
    No BS, emphasis on visual recording quality.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. The recorder doesn't have a tuner. You need the cable box to tune the channels.
    Quote Quote  
  7. jr.com has for $159, free shipping a
    Magnavox H2160MW9-RB HDD & DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner - REFURBISHED
    Records up to 180hrs. onto 160GB HDD / Watch, Forward, Rewind or Freeze Live TV while Recording / 1080p up conversion / HDMI output / ATSC/NTSC Tuner

Includes RF output. No VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While I wouldn't buy much of what's offered by Magnavox or it's parent company Funai, the 2160a is a decent recorder, I'd suggest it.
    It does have a bug where you can't finalize or format DVDs if you've got a scheduled recording in it's event timer but otherwise it's a decent machine.

Note even though the 2160a has a RF output it's ONLY for RF passthru, like all DVDRs only(not some combos) it does NOT have a RF modulator(needed to hook it up to a older RF only TV).

The 2160a has a CLEAR QAM tuner, it will only get what a digital TV(without a CC) will get. Your cable box may get more channels than a clear QAM device like the 2160a is able to tune.

RF modulators are sold at places like Radio Shack or even Walmart. Expect to pay ~$20.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The RF output on the recorder from JR would just be a pass through. I've never seen or heard of a DVD recorder that outputs through the RF.

Got beat to that one. Oh well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had a Centrios DVD recorder that did RF coax output. Only one I ever saw.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never say never
    I also had a Centrios(for 1 day, I returned it due to it's poor PQ) I don't think the one I tried had a RF mod though.
    It was a +R/RW machine only and my notes say besides the PQ I also found the menu system to be annoying/doesn't work well. I think it was quite inexpensive and if I remember correct I bought it from W/M.
    Quote Quote