VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NOTE: I tried to post this in the DVD area, but I always get an "Error Posting" message.

I've spent hours on the web trying to resolve what seems to be a simple issue, but with no luck:

I used OS X to format a Memorex Flash thumb stick drive with FAT32. I, then, dragged some files to the Flash drive to view on the DVD player. However, when even trying to view a JPG on the DVD player via the Flash drive, I always get an "Empty Card" message. Why isn't the DVD player recognizing any file on the Flash drive?

I have seen some talk about this, but no concrete solution.

Thanks.

= )

Philips DVP5990-F7 (2009)
    Memorex Mini TravelDrive 2GB
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Did it just say "Error posting" when you tried post in the dvd player forum section? I can't find anything in the error logs.

I'm moving you to the dvd player section.

edit: I get same error when testing...I'm on to it.

edit2: Found the bug and it should now work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I recall reading recently that there is something special you have to do when formatting on the Mac. I seem to recall it's specifying the partition should be a primary partition or boot partition (because the default is something else).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Shoot, I can't find this information, if that's the case.

You would think it'd be a lot more simple than this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Delete all partitions then make a new partition. It's there where you specify the partition type. Then format fat32. If you have access to a Windows computer somewhere try using SwissKnife.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not to say that I have the answer to your problem, but I do have 3 5990s and on occasion if I connect the disk or card to soon or for other reasons unknown, I also get empty card messages on occasion. So, I pull the card or disk and reinsert it or turn the unit on and off again and that usually fixes the problem for me. For what it's worth each of my units at one time or another has given me this message but with doing the above procedures they finally recognized the card.

tony

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, here's the solution (for others that will search for this):

When using OS X (Leopard 10.5, in this case), format the Flash drive in Disk Utility using the Partition section. Before applying, make sure to choose MS-DOS (FAT) as the Format. Then, under "Options..." (in the Partition section), select Master Boot Record. This will make it so the Philips DVD player can boot-up the drive. This was the missing ingredient. Before, I only erased the drive and formatted it with FAT32 without choosing this option.

Thanks, jagabo, for the partition suggestion. This brought that Master Boot Record option to my attention.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for posting the detailed instructions. It should help someone else in the future.
    Quote Quote