VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I use Ripit 1.2.12 to rip a DVD to the hard drive, and then using either handbrake or Virtualhub I try to do a 2 pass conversion of the main movie to a 700 mb XviD. No matter what movie I use, or no matter which size I choose, it always comes out oversized; say 735 mb if I've chosen 700 mb, or 625 mb if I've chosen 600 mb, or 365 mb if I've chosen 350 mb, and so on. The results are pretty decent quality wise, but they are not the size that I want. Has anyone managed to get 2 pass accurate XviD conversions/output from either Handbrake or Virtualhub, and if so, what are your settings?

thanks

Tom

(any other programs out there which will take a DVD rip and convert to XviD allowing you to choose final output size?)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you accounting for audio? If your videos always come out 5 percent too large why don't you just shoot for 5 percent smaller files? Note, it's not the program you use that's responsible for the bitrate, it's the Xvid codec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The only program I've used that accurately reflects the final output size is AviDemux and it's calculator. Tom is right. I think it's frustratingly stupid that programs don't take the audio into account.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hech54
    The only program I've used that accurately reflects the final output size is AviDemux and it's calculator. Tom is right. I think it's frustratingly stupid that programs don't take the audio into account.
    om

The only program I've used that does what I want, simply, and works repeatedly is autogk and it doesn't work on OS X. I want to be able to tell the program that I want a 700 mb XviD (or DivX), and have it calculate the bit rate and audio rate. I have tried to 'under' estimate in order to be able get the file size that I want. To this extent, I find Visualhib and Hnadbrake frustrating.

Tom
    Quote Quote  
  5. Maybe you have a MiB vs MB problem.

700 MiB ~= 734 MB
    600 MiB ~= 629 MB
    350 MiB ~= 367 MB
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mystery solved.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Are you using Snow Leopard which calculates sizes differently i.e 1KB=1000 bytes not 1024 ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I am using Snow Leopard, and thanks for all who have replied here (and a BIG thanks for mentioning AvideMux; it rocks!). I've just specified as an output size, 700 mb in Handbrake, VirtualHub and AvideMux, and yes, all of them gave 735 mb file size. This is the problem, and I assume, an will try when I get home that I will ask these programs to give me a file size of 667 Mb (683,00KB or 699392000 bytes).

So it seems as if none of my files were oversized after all.

thanks again

Tom
    Quote Quote  
  9. Your reply was a wee bit ambiguous so just to clarify - your 735 MB files are 700 MB files outside of the Snow Leopard bubble.

It'd be good if someone could add something to the Finder Services menu so the contextual menu on right-clicking could show the file size as it would be reported by the other 95+% of the world
    Quote Quote