VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had ordered a intensity pro a couple weeks back and honestly going into it i was a bit weary, since I heard this card can be a bit....uncooperative. Well low and behold, things didn't go smoothly just as I had predicted. I fiddled with all the settings, i couldn't get video to work but that was obviously just a matter of learning the drivers and all that. Anyway that brings me to the issue, when I finally got the video to show up, i was dismayed to see this ugly static flying across the screen as if I was looking at a old tv that I had to adjust the antenna with. Some image links provided:

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/4241/capture11.jpg
    http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4945/capture4a.jpg

It was bad looking at it on my monitor/desktop, however it was never more apparent than when I outputted to my HD tv. The quality was just awful. Here's a list of things i tried...

Checked all cords and connections (outputting via component cables), EVERYTHING was in the right place, and no loose connections.
    Tried multiple game systems, all the same.
    Multiple programs to view (Vdub, Blackmagic express, VHmulticam)
    Re-fastened the card into the slot.
    Changed pci slots, same result.
    Changed all the settings I could on the blackmagic control panel.
    As I said earlier, outputted to my hd tv and it was just awful.
    Changed operating systems.
    Changed driver versions.
    Messed with desktop color settings etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to what might have caused this? Could It have been a bad card?

My system specs (q6600, 4gb ram, vista 32 / xp 64 (tried on both) 8800gt), the only thing I could think of was my video card didn't like it, i heard the 8 series is not great for video purposes, but then I imagine that would not have effected the quality on my HD TV since the intensity is outputting directly to the tv, or am I wrong? ... Anyway, I have actually returned the product, however...this problem has been bugging me ever since then just because I really was at a loss and I thought I'd see if this looked like it might have been a bad card. Online I searched and searched for anyone having static problems and nothing on any forum..I'd consider purchasing it again if I could pinpoint the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking at the list of different things you have ruled out, I do not see where you have tried using a different cable. From the pics you provided, that would have been the first thing I would have tried.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies for forgetting that, but i did try that, I forgot to add it, just a little tired. It was the first thing i tried I tried a universal system cable and the official PS3 component cable.
    Quote Quote  
  4. That kind of static could be either noise within the computer or a ground loop problem between the Intensity Pro and the game console.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a traditional capture card thats a few years old and I'm recieving no such static problems when viewing systems through that card, would that also show up if it was a noise problem with my computer?

Also I dont really know how I would fix something like a ground loop issue, what does that involve?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by rdm2
    I have a traditional capture card thats a few years old and I'm recieving no such static problems when viewing systems through that card, would that also show up if it was a noise problem with my computer?
    Not necessarily. Different card, different shielding, different location...

Originally Posted by rdm2
    Also I dont really know how I would fix something like a ground loop issue, what does that involve?
    Start by plugging the source and computer into the same outlet. Remove any cable TV connections. There are such things as opto isolators but I don't know if you can get them for component video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I tried some of the suggestions, plugging into various outlets gets me varying results of static varying from extreme moving bars and flickering, to low key fuzz but still very noticeable.

I have a surge protector/isolator with varying levels of power and when I change the game system from jack to jack, I see the most change in the picture, so its sounding like its the problem you were talking about. So... I know its not the card malfunctioning since i tried a new card and same result. Could it have anything to do with my motherboard or power supply? Or do i just have to find a way to eliminate the grounding issue?

If anyone has any more suggestions I am willing to try it, I'm determined to crack this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    any chance might you have a big florescent lamp nearby or on the same power circuit? some of their ballast/transformers create weird electro-magnetic interference.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope Just unplugged all lamps, exercise equipment, anything i can think of nearby that is reachable. Even my router lol..im that desperate. I've even gone to a different room with much the same results.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Look in your BIOS for spread spectrum options. Try turning them off/on and see if that makes any difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe move the card to a slot farther away from the power supply?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your jpegs are 1280x720 so I'm assuming your capturing at the same resolution.

Have you tried changing the PS3 output to 1080P to see if the static changes? The jpegs have a diagonal pattern of static.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Then Intensity Pro doesn't capture 1080p. It can capture 1080i though.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not seeing anything related to spread spectrum. Only seeing a lot of voltage options like pci-e overvoltage and stuff, but i imagine that would effect my vid card?

As far as the cap size, everything from SD to 1080i and between has it showing. Right now its about twice as bad as shown in the jpegs.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Decided to just have my ps3 only connected to the intensity and nothing else into my pc...some interesting results.

Disconnected all inputs including my 2 monitors into video card and then ctrl+g screengrab it. Noticed that before with everything unplugged i actually get more static as shown here: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4353/23805263.jpg

half a minute later after plugging them back in, a screen grab shown here:
    http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3315/96567754.jpg

No thats not a pasting error, i get less static with my monitors plugged INTO my pc. Thoughts?

I know I'm officially grasping at straws, but I know I'm having some sort of effect on what's going on and I just cant find what, so it has me still going. In the picture it looks faint, but in motion its noticeable... If it really is ground issues, at least i'll be out of this place soon anyway and Ill just have to accept it as it is for now and be patient.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When the monitors were unplugged, were they truned off?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unplugged, both from the wall and the pc.

I Lifted the ground off my ps3 to see what happened and didn't see much change there. I think its just my crappy pc.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I've seen nice clean caps from an Intensity Pro so I know the board capable of it. Do you have another computer you could try it in?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope none unfortunately.

I took a video capture just to show you this crapfest in motion. http://www.mediafire.com/?qwfkycin11h

I plugged in the Wii this time, its a SD capture but it pretty much shows how it looks (on a good day), and also to prove the fact that it may not be grounding since the Wii is 2 prong while xbox and ps3 are 3 prong.

I am going to try a little case wire management i guess.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    check your outlets for a real ground. you can pick up a small three pronged device at any hardware store. lots of older buildings don't run a third wire ground to 3 prong outlets. it wasn't always in the electrical code.

you can also try running a known good ground wire directly to the computer. if you have cable tv the outer nut at the end of the cable is a good place to try. run a wire from the cable to the computer case(there are usually screws in the back you can attach a wire to).
    --
    Quote Quote