VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm Syncing .avi Audio To .MKV Video

I'm using mkvmerge & I don't know what numbers to put in the stretch & delay fields. . .

I have a video file that's 1:45:25.944 & the audio is 1:45:24.359, which is a difference of 1.585

What settings do I put on the audio to make it sync perfectly?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try the ratio , not difference. If that doesn't work, try the reciprocal

If they are out of sync at the beginning you may need a delay as well
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Try the ratio , not difference. If that doesn't work, try the reciprocal

If they are out of sync at the beginning you may need a delay as well
    How???

I don't know how to do this stuff , I need instructions. . .

all I know is I put the audio on successfully, & it is out of sync. . .

but I am totally unfamiliar with this program....
    Quote Quote  
  4. With the video & audio loaded, highlight the audio track, go to the format specific options tab, and enter the ratio in "the stretch by" box, press start muxing

How bad is it out of sync? Judging from the #'s you gave it should be barely perceptible. If it's way off, you have other problems

Is the audio correct? i.e. are you sure it's the correct version?

Does it have errors/dropouts? If so, you won't get it in sync using this method

Does it start in sync? and slowly go out of sync? if it's out of sync at the beginning you probably have to enter a delay as well
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it's not that off. . .I'm just nit picky. . .but it's off by half a second throughout. . .& the sounds seem to to fall behind (in sequence) as the video goes on. . .but only by a little. But as the video goes on it becomes slightly more noticeable.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If it's a constant delay scenario, video ahead of audio, you can delay the video by that set amount at the beginning

Similar instructions: highlight video track, format specific options tab, enter delay in ms, press start muxing

But since it seems like you have both (different offset and different lengths), you will have to do a combination of both
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what numbers to put in the delay & stretch fields
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ThreatTV
    I don't know what numbers to put in the delay & stretch fields
    I can help you any more with specfics without examining it myself. You can't do this perfectly with only the information you've provided.

You have to try some values, there will be some testing with trial and error involved here

You said about 1/2 second throughout so try 500ms for the video delay. If it's off, try a bit more or a bit less etc...

Try getting the inital sync first (at the beginning), then the stretch.
    Quote Quote