VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to use this card to record PAL video from a bunch of old VHS tapes to put them straight onto PAL DVD's. Using the excellent Virtualdub SW I can get these streams into AVI's but I am wondering if I cannot save a step in the process by using the card's build in MPEG2 encoder. Apparently Vitualdub does not have the info to get the streams from the HW MPEG2 encoder. The only other SW I have tried is WinTV7 but that does not allow me to record anything other than the ATSC or NTSC through the RF interface (i.e not the composite or S-video interface) I dont even see where I can set WinTV to record the Composite or S-video interfaces although the Hauppauge website states that it is possible through a Menu that I cannot find on the WinTV7 GUI. I am running Vista 64 and I am otherwise having good results with this card receiving and recording ATSC HD and Analog NTSC.

Any ideas on what other SW or setups to try with this card to get the Composite/S-Video recording going?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    GraphEdit will do that. I don`t have your card to show you the right filters chain but you can built after others. See more http://www.shspvr.com/ GraphEdit section. The latest filter should be a dump filter (this will write on HDD mpeg stream). Maybe SHS can help you more. For ATI with hardware encoder is this:

Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Video capture cards sold in North America are usually not "PAL aware" and can't do PAL capturing. In the past, some of the older Hauppauge cards had Windows registry hacks that could turn this feature on, but I don't know if that's possible with your card. I only know about it being possible for an older line of cards sold 4+ years ago. You may need to find a forum dedicated to this particular card or Hauppauge cards in general and see if you can get any info on this. Note that 4 years ago I had some problems with my Hauppauge PVR-350 and the official Hauppauge forums were a place where questions went to die. I had a problem that other had reported and nobody offered help for it. Eventually I found a forum somewhere else on the internet that helped me. Maybe the official forums are better, but I wanted to warn you about my bad experience with them in the past.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by 3_2_DVD
    The only other SW I have tried is WinTV7 but that does not allow me to record anything other than the ATSC or NTSC through the RF interface (i.e not the composite or S-video interface) I dont even see where I can set WinTV to record the Composite or S-video interfaces although the Hauppauge website states that it is possible through a Menu that I cannot find on the WinTV7 GUI.
    I haven't used WinTV7 in a while so I don't remember exactly where it is, but you have to go to where you configure the channels. Pick an unused channel number and then assign the composite or s-video input to it. When you want to record just "tune" to that channel.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks to all who responded. I have since downloaded the lastest WinTV V7 and although the GUI now includes the Composite and S-Video interface, I still cannot get it to see any raw video. As a matter of fact I think I have broken something in the process because when scanning I can see TV channels but cannot watch one of them. WinTv allows me to set it up for all kinds of video formats but once set it does not show what format was selected - only shows AUTO. It is not too serious though - push comes to shove I will go the AVI - MPEG 2 conversion route. danno78, still have to get my head around GraphEdit - I did do some frameserving a few years back, but already have forgotten all that I learned bank then
    Quote Quote  
  6. Problem solved - Uninstalled WinTV V7 and replaced it with WinTV V6. Can now record directly into a hardware encoded MPEG2 stream
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From analog PAL?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by edDV
    From analog PAL?
    Correct, a PAL-I VHS video recorded 15 years ago played back on a Multisystem Panasonic player.

Just for the record. I also tried VirtualVCR in Vista but for some reason the setup would automatically reset to NTSC everytime I hit the record button. When I used VirtualVCR earlier with XP on another PC platform with a less expensive capture card (cannot remember the name) I did not have the same problem. But I recorded into AVI back then and had to stop short of killing the streetlamp to get the setup to record without dropping any frames.
    Quote Quote