VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a noob.. First let me tell you why you a little about my problem

I have a in dash dvd player in my car and I need video files that are either Mpeg1 or Mpeg2 in order to play them.. The problem is the music videos I download are in different formats (avi, mkv).. They are great quality UNTIL I convert them. After converting them the video isn't as sharp, and the audio quality is horrible.
    The program I use to covert videos is called "total video converter". I've played with the settings (bit rate, video qual) etc and its just not working..

So I was wondering if I encode videos to Mpeg2 instead will the quality be better?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your in-dash DVD player requires MPEG2 files but "authored" (formatted for DVD). It is possible your DVD player might play "un-authored" MPEG2 and MPEG1 files but forget about MPEG1; the quality of that format is pitiful. If the quality of the DVD video is bad, perhaps you should try another conversion/authoring app.

Be patient; I'm sure you'll get many suggestions for doing this efficiently and with the best quality you can expect from the source formats.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Converting is a layman term, encoding is a more technical term.

You probably need to give it more bitrate. MPEG-2 is a lot less efficient at storing video than XviD (usually in AVIs) and H.264 ( usually in MKVs).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a difference between "encoding" and "converting"?

Converting is kind of confusing.. Theres so many options & numbers...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Above post was posted before I read your answer.

What exactly is bit rate? And what number should I put into this field?

I'm a huge n00b but I am willing to learn, if somebodys willing to help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nb23
    ^ Above post was posted before I read your answer.

What exactly is bit rate? And what number should I put into this field?

I'm a huge n00b but I am willing to learn, if somebodys willing to help.
    Your asking very basic questions.

Suggest your take a look at all the info on the upper left corner under "What Is" and work your way down. Somebody put in a lot of effort to put all that info in a nice organized fashion. Why even "bitrate" is listed in the Glossary.

This place likes to help people who have made an effort to help themselves first.
    Good reading .............
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright I'll look into that.. Thanks for the help, be back later for some more. lol.
    Quote Quote