VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to run external mics into my Sony DCR-TRV-20 video camera. I'm using condenser mics, running them through a Tascam Digital Portastudio digital recorder for phantom power. I don't want to blow out any circuits in the camera because of mis-matched impedance. Here are the specs: camera: minijack, 0.388 mV low impedance with 2.5 to 3.0 V DC, output impedance 6.8 kilohms. Digital recorder output impedance: 1K (omega symbol). Nominal output level: -10dBV, maximum output level: +6dB. Will this work OK? thank you... Larry Larson
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anybody out there know the answer to this, or where I could go to get some information? thanks....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK thank you very much. What would happen if I didn't use a transformer? Would I blow out the camera audio circuit, or would I just have less than optimal sound quality?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Larry Larson
    OK thank you very much. What would happen if I didn't use a transformer? Would I blow out the camera audio circuit, or would I just have less than optimal sound quality?
    You wouldn't hear it. The transformer boosts level and matches impedance.

The Shure A96F transformer connects microphones with an XLR-type connector to the 3.5 mm inputs found on camcorders and other recording devices. It increases the signal level from the microphone, provides a balanced input, and prevents distortion due to the DC bias voltage typically found in camcorder microphone inputs.
    Balanced input 600 ohm would allow very long mic cable runs.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote