VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yet again, this is a question that fits into no other forum. I figure I could ask on Yahoo answers, but I prefer to ask you all first.
    I'm aware that this is a shot in the dark, as it pertains to the actual directing technique that was used, rather than the typical questions asked on this site.
    Anyway, those that have seen the film know that it begins with an eerie "tunnel vision" sort of view. This view is used for about 30 seconds, as you see Freddy creating his glove. Once he finishes and fits it onto his hand, the view switches to the "typical" wide-screen format...
    Is there a name for this visual "effect"? Is there a name for the resolution, aspect ratio, camera operation, directing technique or such? If you don't know, do you have any idea of where I might be able to turn to find the answer? I know that "Google is your friend", but not in this case
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMin2Th8udQ

If you mean the first section of this clip, prior to the title coming up, then it is just a simple reduction of the framesize to approx 1/4 of the original. Nothing particularly difficult about it. Pretty much any editing program can do it. I suspect it could be done with AviSynth as well.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can also use a simple matte to cover the edges of the frame. Of course, you have to shoot with that in mind.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys! I think the route I'd take is the framesize reduction. I appreciate your help
    Quote Quote