VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    As I haven't really seen a topic about this on here yet i thought it would be interesting to get some views from people here about what they think? (It's not strictly breaking news, but some people may not have seen them yet)

Graphics power has never really been an issue for video editing/encoding. However as we are (slowly) moving towards being able to use the power of the graphics card, it may become much more usefull in times to come.

The new HD5870 card is a beast, it's specifications and even what it looks like is just jawdropping. These are obviously being aimed at the gaming market, and rightly so. However i'd love to see a way in which we could use the immense power of these cards along side the processor to really boost encoding.

Here are the Specs and some Pictures for you to look at:

A much more detailed set of information can be found here if anyone is interested: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5000_Leaks/1.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Put a cannon on top of that sucka and you have one helluva tank.

Blows everything away.........
    Quote Quote  
  3. ATI's attempts at GPU h.264 encoding have been very poor. Badaboom has done a little better but x264 (software encoding) is still far superior.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    ATI's attempts at GPU h.264 encoding have been very poor. Badaboom has done a little better but x264 (software encoding) is still far superior.
    Definitely, Hence why i put we are slowly moving towards using graphics power for encoding. In a way its a shame, but the amount of work and time that has gone into software encoding will take a long time to be matched for hardware like this. However when it does work, with cards like this around it could be a huge jump.
    Quote Quote  
  5. But why spend big bucks on one when two years from now (when the GPU encoders may finally become viable) the equivalent card will sell or 1/4 the price?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh no i'm suggesting buying one now to wait for when its usefull. I'm simply looking at the potential of the card! Also in two years time when we can use GPU encoders, this will be cheaper yes, but there will no doubt be bigger and more powerfull cards around.

The point is basically a 'look at where we're heading' and i think its quite exciting to see the potential that is sitting there when people finally tap into it.
    Quote Quote