VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an LG burner which is supposed to be a 16X burner but sometimes tries to burn at 22X, depending on which program I used to burn. This causes coasters sometimes. I would like to know if there is a registry hack, or any way to set my DVD to NEVER go above 16X speed. Most of my burning programs have a way to manually reduce the speed, but I often forget.
    Zakkkkkman
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use Imgburn all the time. Once you set the speed in Imgburn, it stays set.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was hoping for a solution which was independant of the burning software. See, sometimes I can't use imageburn (sometimes I am running a program which has its own burner and there are other reasons too). I seem to remember a long time ago, a way to limit the burner's writing speed (maybe in the registry).
    Zakkkkkman
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe, but it would likely be a different registry setting for each program. A bit of a bother, but if your programs can just output the finished file to your hard drive, then you could use ImgBurn for the actual burning and control the burn speed that way.

If you want to mess about in the registry, BACK IT UP FIRST, or you may kill the OS. Then do a search using the name of the program for a keyword and see what settings appear to be available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is no universal setting that I am aware of that limits the burn speed of an optical drive. FWIW, I never let anything burn directly for me. I want to see the results and test them from the HDD before burning.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I found out that Nero DriveSpeed is supposed to allow you to set the maximum read speed for CDs but it doesn't allow you to set the write speed. I think this is probably what I remembered. Thanks for your replies.
    Zakkkkkman
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The only program I can recall that did not allow for burn speed settings was TDA(the older versions like mine). It just opens up(if you allow it) and fires away. I don't use it....I use ImgBurn of course.
    Quote Quote