VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, apologies in advance if this ends up being a nimrod question, but I'd appreciate any help anyone could provide. I've been off the scene for a while, but did a moderate amount of editing with Premiere back in the day when it was v6.5. Now I'm back for what should be some very quick and dirty/basic editing with CS4, and am having trouble with *viewing* my audio on both the timeline and source monitor.

Transitions, fades and all of the rest are no problem but my goal now (and the one that's eluding me) is to simply line up some audio (music) with its proper place in a few different videos and I'm having trouble locating the proper audio reference points because either Premierie has become a real pain in the arse with this, or I'm being stupid and simply missing something. My suspicions are the latter. Put more simply, I'd like to be able to zoom in *much* more on my audio than I'm presently able to.

On the timeline, the zoom slider bar is simple enough and works fine, but only zooms in up to a certain point which is, unfortunately, still way to small for my needs. That and, no matter what I do, the graph that indicates amplitude is way too small to be useful in any way to me.

In the source monitor, amplitude is much more easy to read but, again, the graph for the audio track is squished too tightly together (from left to right), making it impossible to tell what sound is what and therefore impossible to edit with.

And, of course, scrubbing through the audio and attempting to pick your reference points by ear is useless because the audio is far too choppy for this using that method. That I remember from v6.5.

Bottom line is that I just want to get a useful visual indicator for my audio tracks that's large enough to see and actually work with. I don't remember having nearly this much in terms of headaches with the older version. What am I missing here?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You want to display subframe accuracy for audio

1) Set your sequence settings for audio to display "audio samples"
    2) Unlink the video & audio tracks
    3) In the timeline fly-out menu, checkmark "show audio time units"
    4) Right click the counter to show "audio samples" instead of milliseconds
    5) Now nudging the audio with alt+arrowkey or dragging the audio track should be subframe by audio samples, and when you zoom in on the timeline, the waveform should be more precise & clear

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, definite improvement. Thank you, sir! Much obliged...
    Quote Quote