VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 4 things that should logically work together to allow me to watch DVDs (without a PC or video card).

A) A Bose Stereo for audio
    B) A Dell LCD 17" Monitor (Model 1707) - It has DVI and VGA outputs - However, it's not the widescreen type.
    C) A Toshiba HD DVD Player
    D) A DVI-HDMI Cable that runs between the monitor and the DVD Player

However it doesn't work. The monitor is either blank when in digital mode or it says it cannot recognize this video input.

A problem with the cable you might say? Well, I tested the cable between my other monitor - a Dell 20" widescreen monitor and the same Toshiba HD DVD player - and it worked fine.

I tried lowering the settings on Toshiba DVD Player to 480i, but it still wouldn't play on the Dell 1707. I also tried changing the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3, and again, that didn't help.

Any ideas??
    Quote Quote  
  2. HDCP? Unsupported resolution? Computer monitors often only support standard computer resolutions and progressive refresh rates. 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, etc. 480i is not one of them. 1280x720p60 is probably the only one you might get working.

Otherwise you'll need an HDFury to convert HDMI to VGA.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I'm not exactly familiar with HDCP. I read the Wikipedia entry on it, but let me ask this: If HDCP is the issue, what piece of hardware is causing the "HDCP" issue - the DVD player or the monitor? Or is it only certain DVDs that cause HDCP problems?

Since my 20" monitor worked with DVD player, I'm guessing the HDCP issue would be caused by the a problem with the monitor?

You may be right about the resolution issue - although again the 20" monitor had no trouble with the resolution. The only options offered by Toshiba, however are: "480i," "up to 480P," "up to 720P", and "up to 1080i". Would any of those translate to the resolution you specified?? I'm guessing the answer is no, but just thought I'd ask.

HDFury is extremely expensive - so if that's my only chance, then I guess I'll need to look into buying a regular TV - since the cost ($70) is about half of what it would cost to buy a small television.
    Quote Quote  
  4. No player will output high def via HDMI unless the receiving device supports HDCP. Some monitors support HDCP, some don't. It's mostly older and cheaper monitors that don't.

720p would be 1280x720 at 60 Hz. That's the one with the best chance of working.
    Quote Quote