VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have written a guide here detailing how to convert a Blu Ray to an .mkv file, but I know that there are a fair number of people who dislike the .mkv container. I chose it because it can support multiple audio and subtitle tracks and (using a player like VLC) I can switch between the various tracks on the fly. My question is are there any other containers that can support multiple audio and subtitle tracks? My preference would be a container that could be easily played on the greatest number of devices (HTPCs, streaming media boxes, video game consoles, portable devices, etc.) but I realize that one format won't likely be able to work on every device. Still, since the .mkv format works on so few devices, another container could be a step in the right direction.

As for which audio/video/subtitle formats I prefer, I tend to use h.264 for video and AC3 for audio with .idx/.sub files for the subtitles. However, I could be persuaded to use different formats if it would allow me to use another container. Also, my main work is with creating back up copies of Blu Ray and DVD movies, so support for HD and SD would be first choice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. My question is are there any other containers that can support multiple audio and subtitle tracks?
    Transport streams (.ts, .m2ts, .mts) can hold multiple tracks , but overhead is 5-7% larger than .mkv.

Actually more devices and software are compatible with transport streams than .mkv , but .mkv is more versatile and has support for more formats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, transport streams aren't a bad option I suppose, but not my first choice. I might have to look in to them, though, if there are no other options.

Yeah, I have really enjoyed the versatility of the .mkv container (as far as what audio/video formats can be placed in it) but I realize that it is not largely supported by anything other than software players (like VLC.) So far as I know, the main containers like .mp4 and .avi don't support multiple audio or "soft" subtitles, is that right? Is there any other format that does?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Believe it or not, almost ALL container formats support not only multiple audio tracks, and sub/text tracks, but video tracks as well.

Those that I have personally tested and confirmed (as a result of my work in Stereo3D):
    1. MPEG 1, 2, 4 (program and transport streams)
    2. Quicktime
    3. AVI (yes, AVI!) - particularly, DivX
    4. WMV
    5. MKV

There may be others, but that's plenty. Using the right tools you can mux in all these.

It's really a matter of which players (software and hardware) support what features.
    Since this varies greatly, you need to go with those players that follow some kind of certification conformance. Like (obviously) DVD-Video, or DivX. Unless there's an industry-wide acceptance, it's hit-or-miss.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    MKV is an open source specification, which means that anyone is free to implement it without paying any fees. That's great. I find that most objections to MKV are about either lack of support in the playback device of choice (remember, no fees are necessary to support it, so it's just laziness not to do so) or about playback problems on older PC hardware because MKV may support high def video using codecs like H.264/X.264 that may be difficult for older PCs to play correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by minerva.thegift
    Yeah, I have really enjoyed the versatility of the .mkv container (as far as what audio/video formats can be placed in it) but I realize that it is not largely supported by anything other than software players (like VLC.)
    Eh, there are a good number of hardware players/NMTs that can handle it already (mainly from Asia), like the popular WDTV. I wouldn't call that largely unsupported.
    Quote Quote