VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After reading countless posts, I am running out of patience and have to ask. Is there a tool to demux a mkv file, and remux to Divx? I am asking because it seems like PS3 is only able to support soft subtitle in divx format, and I am having more and more mkv files, which is only playable on my PC.

By the way, I want NO TRANSCODING, so the quality of video/audio stays intact. Subtitles will need to stay as well.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Only if your video was MPEG-4 ASP (divx or xvid to begin with wrapped in .mkv) , otherwise if it's AVC (h.264) , you can't without re-encoding . If you don't know what it contains, use mediainfo
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @poisondeathray

I'm glad it's you, because I've been reading your posts at this thread.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic356810.html

So besides the re-encoding for h.264, do you still recommend the steps from your post from the above thread? or is there a tool now that takes care the multiple steps?
    Quote Quote  
  4. That thread was for DivX ultra players, not PS3

Search for "soft subs and ps3" and there are dozens of guides

But you still might be able to do it without re-encoding if your h.264 video is compliant (L4.1, not too many ref frames,etc..)by putting it into a transport stream. Try multiavchd
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Doing this sort of work once or twice is one thing. Doing it all the time is insane. I'd suggest you look into buying one of the newer media streamers such as the Western Digital HDTV player talked about here
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic358929.html
    It's a lot easier to just play the files as is from a USB drive than to have to demux and remux stuff forever (and in a worst case scenario re-encode) just to support the PS3. However, it's your time and your money and you can do what you wish. I'm just suggesting an alternative.
    Quote Quote