VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't for the life of me get this to deinterlace correctly.
    Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

35mb (VOB) sample
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=373b063b713c09751f8e0fff488e27e0e04e75f6e8ebb871
    Quote Quote  
  2. The field blending is causing your problems. Use AviSynth's SRestore() to fix it. It won't be perfect:

Code:
    Load_Stdcall_plugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\yadif.dll")
    Import("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\SRestore.avs")

MPEG2Source("VTS_01_1.d2v")
    Yadif(mode=1, order=1)
    SRestore()
    Quick low quality Xvid: vts.avi
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where can I obtain those filters.
    And if I use them will it get rid of the interlacing?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by pureimpure
    Where can I obtain those filters.
    http://avisynth.org.ru/yadif/yadif.html
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Srestore

Originally Posted by pureimpure
    And if I use them will it get rid of the interlacing?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are a lifesaver thank you!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wait , I'm still getting jaggy lines.
    Here's another sample.

Sample2 (Give it a min I'm still uploading the file)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=373b063b713c09751f8e0fff488e27e0edca383837e873d0c95965eaa7bc68bc
    Quote Quote  
  7. Since yadif is pretty fast, it will tend to leave slight jaggies and artifacts.

You can replace it with a higher quality deinterlacer in bob mode

TempGaussMC_Beta1() is very very very slow but will get rid of the jagges almost perfectly

Code:
    MPEG2Source("sample2.d2v")
    TempGaussMC_Beta1()
    SRestore()
    Yadifmod+NNEDI2 is slow, but will get rid of most the jaggies, certainly much better than yadif

Code:
    LoadPlugin("...\yadifmod.dll")
    MPEG2Source("sample2.d2v")
    interp=nnedi2(field=3) #double rate, keep top field
    yadifmod(order=1, field=-1, mode=1, edeint=interp) #TFF, field set to order, double rate
    SRestore()
    IMO, the blends are the bigger problem in this source, and you can't get rid of 100% of them

Question for jagabo: how do you know the base rate is 25fps instead of 24fps
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by pureimpure
    Yeah, but that's not interlacing. That aliasing is the by-product of using bobbed fields to replace blended frames. To improve on the aliasing/jaggies you'll have to use a better (and far slower bobber, one such as TempGaussMC_Beta1. And since this looks like a movie, I don't think you'll want to take the time.
    Quote Quote  
  9. TempGaussMC_beta1() is ~1/50 the speed of Yadif.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Question for jagabo: how do you know the base rate is 25fps instead of 24fps
    Actually, I just saw the blended fields and assumed it was a PAL to NTSC transfer. Ran the script and it looked OK. I didn't check it closely for duplicate frames though.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by pureimpure
    Those are there because you applied hard pulldown to create 29.97 fps interlaced video out of 25 fps progressive video. You're basically converting the original interlaced video to progressive video with the AVS script then converting back to interlaced with your MPEG encoder! I recommend you convert to 720x480, 25 fps progressive MPEG 2 then use DgPulldown to add pulldown flags to 29.97 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So when I re-encode don't encode to 23.98 3:2?
    Use 29.97 then use DGpulldown?

Cause the encode is going to take an entire day 24hr because of the slowness of that filter.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by pureimpure
    Cause the encode is going to take an entire day 24hr because of the slowness of that filter.
    Make a lossless AVI first (I use Lagarith) and then feed that into the encoder (via an AviSynth script, if possible). That way the slow script is used only once (assuming you're running multiple passes in your MPEG-2 encoder), and the passes in your MPEG-2 encoder will go much faster.
    So when I re-encode don't encode to 23.98 3:2?
    Up to you, but if encoding it as 25fps you don't have to 'stretch' the audio. Yes, you can slow it to 23.976fps, but then you'll also have to mess with the audio because you've changed the length of the video. The TempGaussMC_Beta1()/SRestore() part of the script keeps it the same length as the source DVD.
    Use 29.97 then use DGpulldown?
    No, his suggestion is to encode it at NTSC resolution (720x480) but at PAL framerate (25fps). You may need to disable some NTSC DVD template in your encoder in order to be able to do this. Have you said what encoder you're using?

When done run the progressive 25fps MPV through DGPulldown set for 25->29.97 to apply a special kind of pulldown to make it NTSC DVD compliant.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still see jaggy lines on vertical areas.
    dang.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by pureimpure
    I still see jaggy lines on vertical areas.
    On your PC? It may simply be the player performing the pulldown. Open your MPEG/VOB file in VirtualDubMod (it doesn't perform the pulldown). Do you see the comb artifacts there?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes, I still see aliasing.
    I have a plasma screen as a monitor.
    That's what the video will be played back on.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Post a short sample again. If you're not making an NTSC DVD encode 25 fps progressive.

A plasma HDTV won't deinterlace unless you are connected to it at 480i or 1080i. Otherwise, if you want to play interlaced video you should use a media player with deinterlacing options.
    Quote Quote  
  18. He's talking about aliasing, not interlacing. He's just disappointed that TempGaussBeta doesn't do a perfect job.

Look, if you start with a crappy source it'll never be as good as if the source had been prepared for DVD properly (i.e., a good progressive NTSC master made and used for the DVD). Stop living in a dream world. The DVD production company was too cheap to prepare a decent master, and just used some already existing PAL master for the NTSC DVD which was then run through a cheap standards converter box, winding up with what you see. That's just the price that we film fans and encoders sometimes pay for our obsessions. If you don't like it, stop buying from these fly-by-night companies and only buy DVDs of 'foreign' films from Criterion/Eclipse. Or get the progressive PAL DVD of whatever film this is. You can bet it isn't aliased on thin lines.
    Quote Quote  
  19. He said aliasing but I don't think it's clear what he's talking about.
    Quote Quote