VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using a A/D passthrough of my Canon camcorder to rip a ton of VHS tapes.. I'd like to transcode all the output to a format that will preserve as much of the DV quality as possible but maybe use 1/2 the disk space.

Is there a good codec / format that I should chose that will let me ditch these DV files with peace of mind?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    this depends how you plan on playing them back
    you want to keep them on your HDD?
    [vhs isn't a very good source but you're stuck]
    I'll guess and say h264 in a mp4 container
    but I have no idea at what I'm guessing...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to have them in a format that I can do further processing and edit down later.

I realize if I transcode them I'll lose something.. but I want to keep that to a minimum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MPEG-2 at around 12 Mbps should halve the file sizes and still leave you with a little wiggle room come editing time. Not ideal, but probably the best option if you still hope to edit down the track.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Don't bother. All encoders with higher compression will deliver lower quality and/or harder to edit files.

The only exception is if your final format will be DVD with less than 1 hour on a single layer disc, or two hours on a dual layer disc, most of your editing will be simple cut/paste, and you have a suitable editor. Then you might encode with DVD compatible MPEG 2 settings so the bulk of the material doesn't have to be reencoded while editing (only cut GOPs and transitions have to be reencoded).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First I captured to DV format and then converted to MPEG2 with Vegas, it went from 40GB to 6GB/7GB after that I realized the best format to save is DV AVI. I know it takes lots of space, but in 5 years the Harddisk will extend and GB arent so much anymore. I think for the future.
    The flag once raised will never fall!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since external HDDs are about $0.10/GB you can store DV (13.5GB/hr) for about $0.14/hour. A 1TB external USB drive will hold ~75 hours of DV (from 12+ 6 hour Video Cassettes) for under $100.

Of course, if you have hundreds of VCR tapes it could cost thousands of dollars.

After thinking about the costs and the fact that I have not looked at any of my tapes in many years, I bulk-eraser all but the few important (to me) tapes and donated the others to Goodwill.
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote  
  8. You might consider a lossless codec like Lagarith, Huffyuv or FFV1. They have varying compression/decode-speed tradeoffs, but will gain you some space over uncompressed video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by creamyhorror
    You might consider a lossless codec like Lagarith, Huffyuv or FFV1.
    For most material those will give bigger files than the DV he's capturing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hard drives are getting so cheap. For example 1TB ~$80, 1.5TB ~$120 and now 2TB ~$180.

Why invest in more labor to reduce quality?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  11. Pair of Samsung 1.5 TB drives for US$99 each, free shipping:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152175
    Slow but good for bulk storage.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Hard drives are getting so cheap. For example 1TB ~$80, 1.5TB ~$120 and now 2TB ~$180.

How I have my workflow setup is I have a script that will see new video and automatically transcode it so the labor isn't an issue.

I just would like to keep it in a format that is a little more compact if possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cowmix
    Originally Posted by edDV

How I have my workflow setup is I have a script that will see new video and automatically transcode it so the labor isn't an issue.

I just would like to keep it in a format that is a little more compact if possible.
    Why if quality will be reduced? Are these camcorder videos or TV captures?

I treat my camcorder material like gold but 98% of TV captures get converted to interlace MPeg2 or deinterlaced progressive MPeg4. VCR dub or TV to DV capture is great for speedy editing but most gets converted.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo
    For most material those will give bigger files than the DV he's capturing.
    Oh, I thought he was capturing to uncompressed for some reason
    Quote Quote