VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an AVI file and it will not play for me, I get the error saying it is an unsupported format. I am trying to play this .avi file on my Xbox360 from a USB stick. I have used 4U avi mpeg program and converted it to MPEG1 and MPEG2, but still no luck. How can I convert it to a format that is supported now? Is there a program that will do this for me? I heard MEGui modern media encoder will do it, but I could not figure out how to use it.

Please help, thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What format is the file? AVI is just the container name, it covers dozens of formats/codecs from DV to H.264. Drop it into MediaInfo or Gspot and let us know what it really is. And you might also check to see what a Xbox360 is capable of playing. It may just be out of spec or may be a format it can't play. Either way, you should be able to convert it to something usable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok, I checked on the formats that are supported by the xbox360. Here is a link for them :

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/what_will_xbox_360_play.cfm

Or this link

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-video-playback-faq.aspx

I used Media Info and got the specs on my AVI file:

1 video stream: MPEG-4 Visual (DivX 3 Low)
    1 Audio stream: MPEG Audio (MP3)

What do I use to convert this to one of the supported formats?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Redwudz: Can you please help?

Anyone....

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try Divx Converter for a quick and easy conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi tim_ver,

What comes to mind quickly for me is that I see your MPEG-4 file is encoded with DivX 3, which is really, really old. I do not own an Xbox but I've had some standalone DVD players that have been really picky about what codec was used for the MPEG4 video, and also some individual settings used while encoding make players choke as well.

You could convert the video to DVD using ConvertXtoDVD, which will create a DVD for you.

As for staying in AVI format, if a re-encode is what is needed, you'll lose a lot of quality. If the file you have was sourced on say, a DVD, I'd use the DVD to make a new AVI file instead of converting AVI-->AVI. Or just play the DVD come to think of it
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you just need a quick and easy re-encode, you could try Any Video Converter Free Version. It does have output modules for Xbox 360 that 'should' be compliant with your machine. It's a easy program to use. Just make the output as Xbox 360 compatible and try to use similar settings as the original file, framesize, framerate. If it doesn't work for you, all you've lost is a bit of time. Any re-encode will cause some quality loss. If your original file is low quality, you have little to lose. If it's high quality, then give it a try, but keep the original file and you can try other conversion methods later.

If it works for you, consider purchasing the retail version and you will eliminate the 'nag' screens. I can tell you, as mentioned, Low motion Divx 3 is a really old format and you will likely have to convert it to something else for the Xbox.

Good luck and keep us informed.
    Quote Quote