VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Gents,

I just ran through a sucession of apps which all failed to do either of the following:

1) Demux an .mp4 file. Is that possible?

and to

2) Convert an .mp4 file to microsoft dv .avi file. Got nowhere. Highest posssible quality conversion preffered due to the source material.

Please, what tools do I need to explore? All opinions,suggestions and reccomendations welcome!

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1) yamb (mp4box)

2) why dv? dv is lossy . There are lossless alternatives e.g. lagarith , huffyuv

What are you trying to do?
    Is your mp4 interlaced or progressive?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Canon GL-2 Guy, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz

In order to convert to DV, you also need to have DV framesize and framerate, NTSC, 720 X 480 @ 29.970fps, so you may need to reize your MP4. If you can open it in VirtualDub, you could probably use the Cedocida DV Codec for the conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gents:

The .mp4 file in question is 1280 by 720/H.264

I suspect its progressive although I'm not sure 100%. How do I know for sure?

I installed all of the programs suggested.

Virtual Dub 1.9.5 won't open an .mp4 file apparently.

How to do I change the above framesize & rate to NTSC and get its out of its present container?

Should I be looking at .H264 apps instead of MP4 programs to solve the problem?

Am I better off by first demuxing to a AAC3 and a H.264 file and going from there?

Thanks for helping to continue the dialogue.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Poisondeath ray:

I know nothing about lossy alternatives although the subject interest me a lot. I'll feed the resulting .avi when this is solved into Premiere Pro.
    Quote Quote