VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What media player is best for playing Sony HF100 camcorder video files. These are HD MTS files. I have VLC media player. It plays them yet the video doesnt play in normal speed. its like its in slow motion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Put your computer specs (including CPU and video card details - and make them accurate, not vague) so we can see if your system is actually capable of 1080 playback.

If you have an appropriate gfx card, MPC HC (Media Player Classic Home Cinema) can make use of the hardware assist to smooth out playback of some HD sources.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's possible that the problem lies in the MTS file itself, since many camcorders output files with the wrong framerate signalled. Try MPC-HC, and if it still doesn't work, upload a raw clip.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have P4 3.0 ghts processor Win XP service pack 2 have 1.50 ram. Not sure what vedio card details are can you tell me how to find out for me to post that info
    Quote Quote  
  5. A P4 3.0GHz will not be able to play 1080p AVCHD videos. Even 720p may be problematic.

You can check your video card by going to Start > Control Panel > System > the Hardware tab > Device Manager > Display Adapters. Tell us what's listed there. I suspect the card won't be recent enough to help, though.

To watch the videos properly, you can try converting them to another format that's easier to play. But if you're going to be viewing clips regularly, you may have to consider getting a newer video card or even a new computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fyi I use arcsoft total media theater for my hd stuff now. It came with my hauppauge hd pvr. Of course I have a amd 2.7ghz dual core pc with 2gigs ram so that helps for hd playback (plus I'm using ati hd wonder pci-e 512mb graphics card - currently using dvi-hdmi cable for output - I do have hdmi out on the card but I haven't bought an extra hdmi cable for it - I am using that extra one for my wd tv media player).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so a 3.0 ghtz want play 1080p avchd.....What do I need. I got a pretty new laptop but its not even a 3.0 ghtz either this desktop Im on is from 2005.

Just say Intel chipset family.....Never heard of that card. Just came with it nothing special.

So how do I convert a recorded clip to play on here
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by marionr26
    so a 3.0 ghtz want play 1080p avchd.....What do I need. I got a pretty new laptop but its not even a 3.0 ghtz either this desktop Im on is from 2005.
    A Pentium 4 3.0GHz is a single core. You generally need a dual core (Core 2 Duo or Athlon X2) or higher in order to play 1080p AVCHD.

If your laptop is dual-core, it may be able to play the file.

Just say Intel chipset family.....Never heard of that card. Just came with it nothing special.
    Yeah, that won't help in playback.

So how do I convert a recorded clip to play on here
    There are a few converter programs that can accept MTS files. You can try Xvid4PSP or AVANTI - I haven't used them myself but one of them should work. What you want to do is convert to XviD video format at 1280x720 resolution, at a bitrate of maybe 3000-3500kbps (you can go higher or lower depending on how good you want the final video to look).

You may need to select the Deinterlace option in the converter, depending on what mode your camera recorded in (interlaced or progressive). Try converting a short clip first without deinterlacing, and then repeat the conversion with deinterlacing. Then watch each clip and see which one looks correct.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the latest VLC player but it's not good at playing AVCHD Lite, there are blocky artifacts. Yet, MPC plays them fine, so I've set that as my default for viewing mts files.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marionr26
    What media player is best for playing Sony HF100 camcorder video files. These are HD MTS files. I have VLC media player. It plays them yet the video doesnt play in normal speed. its like its in slow motion.
    you mean canon hf100 i guess...

i had this cam and i playback clips withj SPlash.
    stunning quality. easy in use. stable.
    today should be new version but i see its not released yet

try splash and see if it says that u got hardware acceleration available. some intel cards got it but with broken deblocking or somethin
    Quote Quote  
  11. I doubt an integrated Intel graphics chipset that old will have any H.264 acceleration...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry I meant Cannon my bad. I think it would be better to just watch on tv through the camcorder and make it into a dvd. If I spend hrs converting a recording to watch on my PC I will just use those hrs on transfering it to a dvd with my Sony Vegas software. My laptop is a Compaq CQ60 model Vista Home service pack 1.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yeah, you can do that, should work.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nitro I must say that did play it better than anything I have tried. This PC being older is a problem but that download played it the best it was moving in regular speed unlike any others. The only thing is with the others the video moved and jumped but audio was good. Now with Splsh the video is great but the audio jumps a little...I see audio setting on the player maybe I need to adjust it.

Thanks alot guys I live by forums
    I love them!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So with the P4 I have if I was to put in a better Video card it still wouldnt matter right? Because of the current processor I have?
    Quote Quote  
  16. No, installing certain video cards will certainly help. If you can get a card that fits your computer's PCI-E/AGP slot and supports DXVA decoding (e.g. Geforce 8400GS and above or Radeon HD 2400 and above) then you won't need to upgrade your processor. You'll be able to play AVCHD MTS files as well as other H.264 video files in MPC-HC and certain other players easily.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks so what do I need to do to see if it supports DXVA decoding? so that Gforce or that Radeon those two you listed would work,if they fit my slots. How will I know if they fit without purchasing and trying. Next question is when I get it in is it going to not have conflicts is it just a plug in play type deal. Is it a driver setup thing?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  18. If you want to go down this route...

1) Check which sort of video card slot (interface) your computer has, which should be AGP 8x, AGP 16x, or PCI-Express 1.0 or 1.1. You do this by checking your motherboard model in Device Manager (or from your invoice), then checking Newegg or other websites to find out what interface it has.

2) Look for a Geforce 8400GS 512MB card which fits your interface type. (A 512MB model is important, because it contains a more advanced chip.) Check with us before you buy it.

3) Install the card in your computer, or get a friend to do it. (Or get someone to handle the whole process for you.)

4) Download the latest nVidia drivers, which will allow DXVA decoding.

5) Configure MPC-HC to use DXVA decoding (via the video card). Someone here can probably point you to a simple guide.

I don't think there will be conflicts, but you need to know how to install the card. Note that many players can't make use of DXVA decoding: VLC definitely can't. So you need to check that it's available for whatever player you want to use.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    creamyhorror: have you tried dxva decoding with 8400gs? does it work with mpc-hc? i had really bad results with mpc-hc... stuttering video and some sync problems. with splash is a lot better, 24p movies work fine but interlaced avchd clips are not always smooth. i think there is something wrong with drivers :/
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by nitro1973
    creamyhorror: have you tried dxva decoding with 8400gs? does it work with mpc-hc? i had really bad results with mpc-hc... stuttering video and some sync problems. with splash is a lot better, 24p movies work fine but interlaced avchd clips are not always smooth. i think there is something wrong with drivers :/
    Yes, DXVA decoding on my 8400GS works fine in MPC-HC for me. When I tried it, the nVidia drivers only allowed up to level 4.1 decoding, so I ended up using CoreAVC Pro instead (which can decode any level of H.264 using CUDA on the 8400GS). But now nVidia drivers support level 5.1, so you can use DXVA on basically any video with nVidia cards now.

On DXVA, my CPU usage was 1-3%, and on CoreAVC+CUDA, 15-25%.

Your problem with MPC-HC sounds like a codec conflict or a slow decoder. To be fast enough to handle 1080p, you need a multithreaded decoder (ffmpeg-mt, CoreAVC or DivX 7 being the common ones), assuming you don't have a DXVA/CUDA-capable card. Check your video decoder when you're playing a video in MPC-HC, and see what it is. If it's ffdshow video, you probably need to switch it to multithreaded mode.

I don't know whether your problem with interlaced clips is due to the CPU demands of deinterlacing during playback or something else. You may want to post a thread detailing the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    creamyhorror: i think i wasnt clear. stuttering video i got with mpc-hc dxva especially on high bitrate fullhd AVCHD clips.
    i tried it just because Splash seems to have little stutters as well on this clips (but with SPlash playback is far more smooth).
    i got latest drviers for notebook 8400GS M card.

there is no problem in splash with 24p movies on dxva. only 1080i seems to lack smooth playback.
    and it has rather nothing in common with cpu, because i can watch this 1080i clips on software decoding with best quality mode in splash. everything is smooth and quality is just perfect.

i tried coreavc with mpc-hc and its cuda on 8400 is just a disaster :/

so far the best result i have with Splash. even cyberlink and arcoft stutter more on dxva :/

i read some threads with similar problems with 8400gs m 1080i dxva decoding on other forums but no solution for this :/
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hi,

I installed Splash Lite and must say that this is the king of HD players at the moment!
    Outstanding quality, and its really fast. My fav player for camcorder clips so far!

Is it a brand new player or somethin? I never heard about it before :O
    ----------------------
    Cheers! John.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by nitro1973
    creamyhorror: i think i wasnt clear. stuttering video i got with mpc-hc dxva especially on high bitrate fullhd AVCHD clips.
    i tried it just because Splash seems to have little stutters as well on this clips (but with SPlash playback is far more smooth).
    I don't know why that is happening for you, but it may be that DXVA is not actually being used. Is your CPU usage during MPC-HC DXVA playback higher than 3-4%? (because it shouldn't be)

i tried coreavc with mpc-hc and its cuda on 8400 is just a disaster :/
    I think only CoreAVC Pro has CUDA decoding; did you try that? CUDA works just fine for me. Then again, I don't play interlaced camcorder vids - I deinterlace them in Avisynth first.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    creamyhorror: and do you have 8400GS M or a desktop PC? I got HP notebook with vista, maybe it is only notebook problem.

dxva is used for sure. mpc-hc with dxva takes 5-16% (mostly 12%), splash takes 0-8%(mostly 4%).
    the problem is only with interlaced 1080i content. 1920x1080 with high bitrate. 1440x1080 works fine in splash, in mpc-hc still stutters a bit. the biggest problems are with test clips from sony hdr-sr12 (1080i 17Mbps).
    Quote Quote  
  25. Argh, a notebook, I see. I missed that in your post. No idea about the 8400GS M, sorry. I don't know why MPC-HC's DXVA decoding isn't working for you. Maybe someone else will answer, or you can start a new thread about it.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    creamyhorror: yep :/ i know that on desktop it works, just like with 8500 and 8600 cards. probably it is a problem with drivers on notebook version of 8400. i will wait for new drivers with hope for a fix

johnny_77: well, you can call it a brand new player. first beta version was released around 5-6 months ago... and player really much improved since beta 1 release.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Up to recently I was using VLC to play .mts from a pana lumix TZ7 but sometimes there would be blocky artifacts

but just discovered that Windows Media Player 12 on windows 7 really kicks .mts ass. They look so good & sharp and vibrant when played through it, no stuttering or artifacts. (using laptop dc 2.6 + gf 8600m).

Oh yea, off topic, that western digital WDTV HD media player plays the .mts stunningly superbly in HD on my tv. that thing is only £80-90.
    Quote Quote  
  28. VLC is crap for HD H.264, really.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by creamyhorror
    VLC is crap for HD H.264, really.
    True They should state this on their website, many people would not loose the time for tryouts
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like the orig. poster, I still can't get my .mts files from my JVC HM200 to play under WinXP: in The KM Player and WMP, they play, but are in slow motion. In MPC-HC, I get a black screen. I have K-Lite mega codec pack installed. As someone else mentioned, WMP in Windows 7 plays them quite nicely...but I only have Win7 RC and don't even use it really. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote