VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm putting together an editing station for a video content-based website, and I need suggestions on an HD camera purchase.

Budget
    Probably around $1,000, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Purpose
    The online video content will probably be 640x360 (resolution in pixels). Depending on demand, an HD resolution may be offered in the future - either online or on DVD, therefore the footage needs to be captured in HD (not SD).

The web videos will be 2-3 minute interviews with people in their work environments. Probably no sports or anything requiring high shutter speeds. Probably no big need for low-light situations, although it would be nice. I'll be using a custom Flash player, and expecting Premiere to be able to export a ready-to-go 640x360 format.

The camera will need to have an option for an external mic - either lav or boom.

Hardware / Software
    The editing station will be a PC (as powerful as needed) with Premiere Pro CS4 and Vista 64-bit. I'm a PC / Adobe product guy, but I'm open-minded to other options.

Rumors
    AVCHD sounds nice, but I've been reading horror stories online about trying to use Premiere Pro CS4 to edit AVCHD - supposedly really choppy playback regardless of system power.

The Canon HF-10 looks cool too, but, again - AVCHD fears.

So, if anyone has any camera purchase opinions or questions on this setup, let me know!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HV30 or HV40. Just do a search on vimeo for example footage. The HDV vs AVCHD debate won't be settled for years.

For $130 you could convert your AVCHD to Cineform AVI, making it much easier for your PC to handle. NeoScene is the app.
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote