VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got an .mp4 file that plays fine in MPC, and subs look ok. In VirtualDubMod I can see the subs stream, but, when demuxed, they become weird, with lots of stange characters. I've tried several types of conversion for subs, but nothing works.
    If I try to convert the .mp4 file, either to mpg or avi or whatever else, with Tmpgenc, subs wont show, or will show weird.
    I've thought also in grabbing the MPC window, as subs look ok in there, but I don't know how to do this. I want to avoid editing the hole subs manually.
    Also, MKVextractgui wont open the .mp4 file to extract ths subs this way.

So I would appreciate any help on this, so thanks in advance
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety. (Benjamin Franklin).
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried demux using yamb?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What language/format are the subs, and what are you using to view the subs once they have been demuxed?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick, I've just tried Yamb, but look what happens: When loading file.mp4 an error message shows up:
    Access violation at address 0045AA7C in module Yamb.exe. Read of address 00000004.
    I first thought it was because I downloaded the simple version.zip, with no installer. But then I tried opening my file.avi (with no subs), and Yam did well.
    Where the problem is? Is it my file.mp4 is scratched, or is it I must install the installer version of Yamb?
    I also tried last night doing what you explained here: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic153058.html and here too: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic272736.html
    But Vobsub did not work, did not open the subs, and Tmpgenc gave out weird subs.

Thanks Ai Haibara too. The format shown in VirtualDubMod is text stream 1, ID [S_TEXT/ASS], and no matter what I view them with, they look weird (notepad), or don't look at all (Subtitle Workshop).
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety. (Benjamin Franklin).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just fixed it by the most simple way

I've rename file.mp4 to file.mkv. MKVExtratGui has loaded it, and I have extracted the subs quite well.

Sometimes we pull our hair out doing hard investigations, without trying first the obvious.
    I'm sorry for making you lose your time on me, I apologize.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by NormaJ View Post

I've rename file.mp4 to file.mkv. MKVExtratGui has loaded it, and I have extracted the subs quite well.

Sometimes we pull our hair out doing hard investigations, without trying first the obvious.

Thanks
    THANKS! I LOVE YOU!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NormaJ View Post

Thanks
    No need to rename it - MKVMergeGui will happily load mp4 files. My use has been for a different purpose but it does work, http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=60795&pid=555546#pid555546

RE: AAC (LC): No audio - just noise I've had a few files with aac audio at 44.1 that won't reproduce any audio but when I changed the track to either aac 48kbps or ac3 that fixes the problem on my system.

What I did with a MP4 with this problem I first ran it through MkvMergeGui to wrap in in a MKV container I then ran that file through MKVtoAC3 which created an AC3 file within the MKV file alongside the aac track.

For good measure! I then ran that file through MkvMerge again and removed the aac track. It worked and the process, although a 3 step process, didn't take very long and no re-encoding involved.

If you want to take the risk you can untick the box "keep original track" and then it's a 2 step process....
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote